Alfred T. Andreas
|Alfred Theodore Andreas|
|Birth name||Alfred Theodore Andreas|
May 29, 1839|
Amity, Orange County, New York
|Died||February 10, 1900
New Rochelle, New York
|Buried||Oakdale Memorial Gardens, Davenport, Iowa|
|Years of service||1861–1865|
|Unit||12th Illinois Infantry, Company G|
|Spouse(s)||Sophia Lyter (m. 1865; death 1900)|
|Other work||Book publisher|
Alfred Theodore Andreas (May 29, 1839 – February 10, 1900) was an American book publisher and historian.
After acquiring an education, he moved to Dubuque, Iowa, where he taught school for some years and conducted business. In 1860, he moved to Illinois. He enlisted in Company G, 12th Illinois Infantry and served through the American Civil War, rising through the ranks to become a division commissary, serving with Sherman on the March to the Sea and the Carolina campaigns. After peace was restored, he moved to Davenport, Iowa, married and for several years was engaged in compiling and publishing county and State atlases, in partnership with John Milton Lyter, who became mayor in 1870. In 1875, he completed and published his greatest work, which was an "Illustrated Historical Atlas of Iowa." It was accurate and became an official authority for real estate dealers, county and State officers. Although many made him substantial profit, others, including his Minnesota and Indiana atlases, were financial failures. Later Andreas moved to Chicago and organized the “Western Historical Company,” and took up historical writing, publishing a three-volume History of Chicago. He died at New Rochelle, New York, on February 10, 1900.
- An illustrated historical atlas of Hancock County, Illinois (1874)
- An Illustrated Historical Atlas of the State of Minnesota (1874)
- Illustrated Historical Atlas of Iowa (1875)
- Illustrated historical atlas of the State of Indiana (1876)
- History of the State of Nebraska (1882)
- History of the State of Kansas (1883)
- History of Cook County Illinois (1884)
- Historical Atlas of Dakota (1884)
- History of Chicago (3 vols., 1884–86)
- David Hudson; Marvin Bergman; Loren Horton (1 May 2009). "Alfred Theodore Andreas". The Biographical Dictionary of Iowa. Mary R. Mcinroy. University of Iowa Press. pp. 18–19. ISBN 978-1-58729-724-3.
- Gue, Benjamin F. (1903). History of Iowa From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century/Volume 4. New York City: Century Historical Company. p. 7.
- An illustrated historical atlas of Hancock County, Illinois
- Ristow, Walter W. (1966). "Alfred T. Andreas and His Minnesota Atlas". Minnesota History. Minnesota Historical Society Press. 40 (3): 120–129. doi:10.2307/20177838. JSTOR 20177838.
- Illustrated historical atlas of the State of Indiana at Historic Indiana Atlases
- History of the State of Nebraska
- History of the State of Kansas at Columbia University Libraries
- History of Chicago (1975 ed.)