|The Reverend Monsignor
|Prelate Secretary of the Secretariat for the Economy|
|Appointed||3 March 2014|
|Predecessor||none, new post|
|Ordination||26 May 1984|
14 October 1958 |
Victoria, Gozo, Malta
|Alma mater||Pontifical Theological Faculty Teresianum|
Alfred Xuereb (born 14 October 1958 in Victoria on the Maltese island of Gozo) is an Honorary Prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, and first private secretary of Pope Francis. Before being selected, he had served, next to the private secretary Georg Gänswein, as second private secretary of Pope Benedict XVI.
Xuereb studied philosophy and Roman Catholic theology in Malta and was ordained a priest in 1984. He then studied at the Pontifical Theological Faculty Teresianum where he earned a PhD in Theology, specialising in Spirituality, from the Pontifical Institute "Teresianum" with a thesis on “The Easter mystery in Christian Life”.
He returned to pastoral service to Malta, but was re-appointed in 1991 as secretary to the rector of the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome. From 1995 he worked at the Secretariat of State in the Roman Curia and took part in two short missions of the Apostolic Nunciature of Ottawa in Canada.
In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Xuereb as successor to secretary Mieczysław Mokrzycki as his second private secretary. He accompanied the Pope on his trips. After the election of Pope Francis in 2013, Xuereb became his first private secretary. Though Xuereb was the official first secretary it was assumed that the real private secretary of the pope was Fabián Pedacchio, who was at that point officially the second secretary.
On 28 November 2013 Pope Francis appointed him a delegate for the Pontifical Commission for Reference on the Institute for the Works of Religion (IOR) and for the Pontifical Commission for Reference on the Organisation of the Economic-Administrative Structure of the Holy See, in order to exercise a supervisory role and to inform the Pope.
- Gozitan to become Pope's personal secretary, Times of Malta, March 18, 2013.
- Annuario Pontificio per l’anno 2008, Città del Vaticano, p. 2370.
- Mgr Alfred Xuereb appointed as secretary to Pope Francis, Gozo News, March 18, 2013.
- Gozitan Mgr Alfred Xuereb appointed Pope's official secretary, Malta Today, March 18, 2013.
- vatican insider
- Tornielli, Andrea (3 March 2014). "Francis appoints Fr. Xuereb as secretary general of the Vatican's new economy secretariat". Vatican Insider. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- Vaticano - «Mi fa male vedere un prete con un’auto ultimo modello» | mondo | Il Secolo XIX
|Catholic Church titles|
|Personal Papal Secretary
March 18, 2013 – March 2, 2014