The Most Reverend
|Apostolic Nuncio to South Korea|
Apostolic Nuncio to Mongolia
|Appointed||26 February 2018|
|Other posts||Titular Archbishop of Amantea (2018-)|
|Ordination||26 May 1984|
by Nikol Joseph Cauchi
|Consecration||19 March 2018|
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Alfred Xuereb|
|Born||14 October 1958|
Victoria, Gozo, Malta
|Previous post||General Secretary of the Secretariat for the Economy (2014-18)|
|Alma mater||Pontifical Theological Faculty Teresianum|
|Motto||Ut Unum sint|
|Coat of arms|
Alfred Xuereb (born 14 October 1958) is a Maltese prelate of the Catholic Church who has been the Apostolic Nuncio to both South Korea and Mongolia since February 2018. He previously worked in the Roman Curia and was a private secretary to Pope Benedict XV from 2007 to 2013 and to Pope Francis from 2013 to 2014.
Alfred Xuereb was born in Victoria (known also as Rabat) on the Maltese island of Gozo on 14 October 1958. He studied philosophy and Roman Catholic theology in Malta and was ordained a priest of the Diocese of Gozo on 26 May 1984. He then studied at the Pontifical Theological Faculty Teresianum where he earned a doctorate in theology, specialising in spirituality, with a thesis on “The Easter mystery in Christian Life”.
He returned to pastoral service in Malta for several years. In September 1991 he joined the staff of the rector of the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome. He entered the service of the General Affairs Section of the Secretariat of State on 1 September 1995.
In 2007, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Xuereb his second private secretary, succeeding Mieczysław Mokrzycki as his second private secretary. He accompanied the Pope on his trips. After the election of Pope Francis in 2013, Xuereb became his first private secretary.
On 28 November 2013, Pope Francis appointed him a delegate for the Pontifical Commission investigating the Institute for the Works of Religion (IOR) and for the Pontifical Commission on the Organisation of the Economic-Administrative Structure of the Holy See. He was tasked with keeping the Pope informed of their procedures and initiatives. Continuing to place Xuereb in positions crucial to financial reform, on 3 March 2014, Pope Francis appointed him the first Secretary General of the Secretariat for the Economy, a new department of the Roman Curia.
On 26 February 2018, Pope Francis appointed Xuereb titular archbishop of Amantea and apostolic nuncio for both South Korea and Mongolia. Xuereb was consecrated bishop on 19 March 2018 in St. Peter's Basilica by Pope Francis. He chose as his episcopal motto Ut Unum Sint, "that all may be one".
Speaking of the 2018 Trump-Kim summit, Xuereb said that the Korean people and the local Church had been anxiously awaiting “these truly historic events.” He described the summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as “marking an important page at the beginning of a long and arduous road”
- "Apostolic Nuncio Alfred Xuereb in Korea and Mongolia to 'build bridges'". The Malta Independent. 3 May 2018. Retrieved 25 June 2020.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 26.02.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 26 February 2018. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
Il Santo Padre ha nominato Nunzio Apostolico in Corea del Sud e in Mongolia il Rev.do Mons. Alfred Xuereb
- Annuario Pontificio per l’anno 2008, Città del Vaticano, p. 2370.
- "Mgr Alfred Xuereb appointed as secretary to Pope Francis". Gozo News. 18 March 2013.
- "Gozitan to become Pope's personal secretary". Times of Malta. 18 March 2013.
- "Gozitan Mgr Alfred Xuereb appointed Pope's official secretary". Malta Today. 18 March 2013.
- "Rinunce e nomine, 26.02.2018" (Press release) (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 28 November 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2020.
l'incarico di vigilare e di tenerLo informato, in collaborazione con la Segreteria di Stato, sulle procedure di lavoro e sulle eventuali iniziative da intraprendere
- "The Pope Appoints Msgr. Xuereb as his Delegate in Two Commissions". Vatican News. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- Tornielli, Andrea (3 March 2014). "Francis appoints Fr. Xuereb as secretary general of the Vatican's new economy secretariat". Vatican Insider. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Mgr Alfred Xuereb ordained bishop; Pope says: no politicking, no high society". The Malta Independent. 20 March 2018. Retrieved 25 June 2020.
- Junno Arocho Esteves (1 March 2018). "Pope names two Vatican officials as apostolic nuncios". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Nuncio in Korea: Singapore summit is truly historic". Vatican News. 12 June 2018. Retrieved 25 June 2020.
- "Vaticano - "Mi fa male vedere un prete con un'auto ultimo modello"". Retrieved 9 May 2017.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Personal Papal Secretary
18 March 2013 – 2 March 2014