|Birth name||Algebra Felicia Blessett|
April 9, 1976 |
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
|Genres||R&B, neo soul|
|Labels||Rowdy Records, Kedar, Purpose, E1 Music|
Blessett's mother was a gospel singer and bass player, and she grew up to the sounds of soul music, gospel and R&B. Like many R&B singers, she sang in a gospel choir when she was in school. As an original detail, however, she has added in interviews that this was not so much out of passion, but rather because she was not good at sports, and wanted to stay after school with her friends.
Blessett started doing background vocals, among others for R&B artists Monica and Bilal. This earned her a contract with Rowdy Records in Atlanta. She has toured with Anthony Hamilton, and collaborated with India.Arie. At a later age she learned to play the guitar, and started to do her own gigs in the Atlanta club scene. She writes her own songs.
Blessett released her first single "U Do It For Me" on the Kedar Entertainment label in 2006. She released her first album titled Purpose in 2008.
In 2014, her sophomore effort Recovery was released.
The sophomore, Recovery made her first debut on Billboard 200 charting #149. It also entered #2 on Heatseekers Albums and #23 on Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- 2006: "U Do It For Me"
- 2008: "Run and Hide"
- 2012: "Black Gold" - credited as 'Esperanza Spalding with Algebra Blessett'
- 2013: "Nobody But You"
- "Albums by Algebra Blessett". rateyourmusic.com. Rate Your Music. Retrieved 2015-11-19.
- Flyglobalmusic Feature, Aug. 25 07, retrieved Sept. 26, 2009
- "Algebra : Chart History". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "iTunes - Music - Black Gold (With Algebra Blessett) - Single by Esperanza Spalding". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2014-01-28.
- "iTunes - Music - Nobody But You - Single by Algebra Blessett". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-06-19. Retrieved 2014-01-28.