Algenis Perez Soto
Algenis Pérez Soto
Quisqueya, Dominican Republic
Algenis Pérez Soto is an actor from the Dominican Republic. He was discovered playing a casual game of baseball with friends and chosen to star in his first acting role, Sugar, a film about a baseball player’s struggle to rise from amateur playing to the major leagues, and to lift himself and his family from poverty to plenty.
Soto grew up in Quisqueya, a suburb of San Pedro de Macoris, and dreamed of playing professional baseball. He grew up as the middle of three sons. By local standards, Soto’s family was well-off, with his mother working as a high school secretary and his father running a small business. Soto graduated from high school and had taken computer classes. He played amateur baseball for three years in the hopes of being discovered by a scout, usually playing shortstop or second base. He also worked as front desk clerk at a hotel in San Pedro. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, discovered Soto playing baseball with friends, and interviewed him for the role. He was one of about 500 actors interviewed for the role.
Soto has continued to live in the United States since the release of Sugar, saying, "I've been like a different person now. Hopefully, this opens more doors."
|2017||Isolated Victim||Dyson Romero|
|2018||La Isla Rota|
- Piccalo, Gina (29 March 2009). "Sugar is Sweet for Algenis Perez Soto". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- Diaz, Johnny (2009-04-11). "Young Actor's Got Major League Ambition". Boston Globe. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- Anderson, John (2009-03-29). "A Ballplayer Seeks A Hit, A Hit Film". New York Times”. Retrieved 2009-04-19.
- Dinh, Christine (March 26, 2018). "Production Underway on Marvel Studios' 'Captain Marvel'". Marvel.com. Archived from the original on March 26, 2018. Retrieved March 26, 2018.
- Cardona, Ian (September 5, 2018). "Captain Marvel's Starforce Team Includes a Familiar GotG Face". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on September 6, 2018. Retrieved September 5, 2018.