Algernon Strutt, 3rd Baron Belper
Algernon Henry Strutt (6 May 1883 – 20 May 1956) was 3rd Baron Belper from 1914 to 1956.
He entered the British Army in August 1908 and gained the rank of Lieutenant in the service of the 2nd Life Guards. He succeeded to the title of 3rd Baron Belper, of Belper, on 26 July 1914. He held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire.
He was the son of Henry Strutt, 2nd Baron Belper and Lady Margaret Coke. He married Eva Isabel Marion Bruce, daughter of Major Henry Campbell Bruce, 2nd Baron Aberdare of Duffryn and Constance Mary Beckett on 26 April 1911 in St. Margaret's, Westminster. The couple were divorced in 1922 after having three children:
- Alexander Ronald George Strutt, 4th Baron Belper (1912–1999) married Zara Sophie Kathleen Mary Mainwaring, daughter of Sir Henry Stapleton Mainwaring, 5th Baronet and Generis Alma Windham Williams-Bulkeley, on 15 November 1940. Divorced 1949.
- Hon. Michael Strutt (1914 - 25 August 1942) married Arielle Frazer, daughter of Joseph Washington Frazer, on 15 July 1939. Died on 25 August 1942, killed with Prince George, Duke of Kent in a flying accident on active service.
- Hon. Lavinia Mary Strutt (1916–1995) married Bernard Marmaduke Fitzalan-Howard, 16th Duke of Norfolk, son of Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 15th Duke of Norfolk and Gwendoline Mary Herries, Baroness Herries of Terregles, on 27 January 1937.
Secondly he married Angela Mariota Tollemache, daughter of Hon. Alfred Douglas Tollemache and Alice Mary Head, on 12 July 1923. There were two children from this marriage:
- Peter Algernon Strutt (18 Jun 1924 - 27 Oct 2007) married Gay Mary Fison, daughter of Sir Frank Guy Clavering Fison and Evelyn Alice Mary Bland, on 10 January 1953. He gained the Military Cross when serving with the Coldstream Guards in 1945.
- Desmond Rupert Strutt (17 Jun 1926 - 27 Feb 1993) married Jean Felicity Erskine, daughter of Captain Hon. Francis Walter Erskine and Phyllis Burstall, on 10 July 1951. Divorced 1961. Married secondly Lucy Gwendolen Stirling-Home-Drummond-Moray, daughter of Major James William Stirling-Home-Drummond-Moray, 21st of Abercairny and Jeanetta Ruth Montagu Douglas Scott, on 11 July 1964
- The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, G.E. Cokayne, volume II, page 113.
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 340.
- "Lady Belper Is Granted Divorce". The Ottawa Journal. 27 April 1922. p. 1. Retrieved 24 December 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Peter Strutt: Obituary". Daily Telegraph. 17 November 2007. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Baron Belper