Blue-throated keeled lizard
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Blue-throated keeled lizard|
(A.M.C. Duméril & Bibron, 1839)
The maximum total length (including tail) is 25 cm (9.8 in) which makes it significantly larger than any of the other Algyroides species. A. nigropunctatus can be recognized by the keeled V-shaped scales on the flanks, tail and back. It owes its common name to the bright blue throat of the males in the mating season. Sometimes also females get a blue throat that is less bright. The remainder of the body is light brown to rusty brown, the belly is white to yellowish. It owes its specific name, nigropunctatus, to the rows of black dots on the back. These dots are mostly missing in females outside the mating season.
The species is very easily frightened and is not often kept in captivity due to its protected status.
Only two or four eggs are laid, but it has been assumed that females can produce eggs both in early spring and early autumn. The males bite the females in the neck during mating and don't let go for quite some time, which is common for Algyroides lizards.
- Böhme, Wolfgang; Lymberakis, Petros; Ajtic, Rastko; Haxhiu, Idriz; Isailovic, Jelka Crnobrnja; Sindaco, Roberto (2009). "Algyroides nigropunctatus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2009: e.T61466A12490013. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- Algyroides nigropunctatus at the Reptarium.cz Reptile Database. Accessed 8 January 2016.
- Arnold EN, Burton JA (1978). A Field Guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of Britain and Europe. London: Collins. 272 pp. + Plates 1-40. ISBN 0-00-219318-3. (Algyroides nigropunctatus, p. 115 + Plate 18 + Map 56).
- Boulenger GA (1887). Catalogue of the Lizards in the British Museum (Natural History). Second Edition. Volume III. Lacertidæ ... London: Trustees of the British Museum (Natural History). (Taylor and Francis, printers). xii + 575 pp. + Plates I-XL. ("Algiroides [sic] nigropunctatus", pp. 44–45).
- Duméril AMC, Bibron G (1839). Erpétologie générale ou Histoire naturelle complète des Reptiles. Tome cinquième [Volume 5]. Paris: Roret. viii + 854 pp. ("Lacerta nigro-punctata ", new species, pp. 190–191). (in French).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to blue-throated keeled lizard.|