This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
AliExpress is an online retail service based in China owned by the Alibaba Group. Launched in 2010, it is made up of small businesses in China and other locations, such as Singapore, that offer products to international online buyers. It is the most visited e-commerce website in Russia and was the 10th most popular website in Brazil. It facilitates small businesses to sell to customers all over the world. AliExpress has drawn comparison to eBay, as sellers are independent and use the platform to offer products to buyers.
AliExpress started as a business-to-business buying and selling portal. It has since expanded to business-to-consumer, consumer-to-consumer, cloud computing, and payment services, as well. AliExpress currently (2016) runs websites in English, Spanish, Dutch, French, Italian, German, Polish, Turkish, Portuguese, Indonesian and Russian languages. Customers outside of the country boundaries for these languages are automatically served the English version of the service. AliExpress is often used by e-commerce stores that use a dropship business model.
Sellers on AliExpress can be either companies or individuals. AliExpress is different from Amazon because it acts only as an e-commerce platform and does not sell products directly to consumers. It directly connects Chinese businesses with buyers. AliExpress differs from fellow Alibaba-subsidiary Taobao in that AliExpress is primarily aimed at international buyers.
AliExpress does not sell to customers in mainland China, though most retailers are Chinese themselves. The website offers a popular affiliate marketing program where partners are rewarded for sending visitors to the site with a commission on sales.
In November 2020, India's government under The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology banned AliExpress and 42 other apps from China.
- "Can you tell me the diffrence [sic] between Alibaba and Aliexpress?". Help Center. Alibaba.com. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- Dowsett, Sonya (3 March 2020). "Alibaba's AliExpress warns of possible coronavirus delays". U.S. Retrieved 9 September 2020.
- "How a pandemic led the world to start shopping on Alibaba". Financial Times. 28 April 2020. Retrieved 9 September 2020.
- Checkup, China. "What is Aliexpress?".
- "Ebay vs Aliexpress - Which is better?". Top Reviews for You. 12 August 2017. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- Hsiao, Aron. "ebay Versus AliExpress? Where You Should Be Shopping". The Balance Small Business. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "A Brief History of Jack Ma, Alibaba and AliExpress". Alixblog. 23 March 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- "The Definitive Guide to Dropshipping with AliExpress". Shopify. Retrieved 20 January 2020.
- "AliExpress Is Cheap, But Is It Safe to Shop There?".
- Checkup, China. "What is Aliexpress?". China Checkup. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- "AliExpress among 43 new Chinese apps banned in India: Check full list". The Indian Express. 25 November 2020. Retrieved 25 November 2020.