6 October 1982|
Ali Ewoldt (born October 6, 1982 in Chicago) is a Filipino-American actress, who made her Broadway debut in the Les Misérables revival in 2006 in the role of Cosette. She has also performed on national and international tours and in U.S. regional theatre. She became well known as the first Asian-American actress to star as Christine Daaé in The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.
Life and Career
Ewoldt was born in Chicago to a Filipina mother and a Caucasian father and raised in Pleasantville, New York. After performing in a child role in a nearby regional theatre and in musical theatre in high school, she went on to graduate cum laude from Yale University, also doing some performing during her college years.
Ewoldt performed the role of Princess Jasmine in Disneyland, and she also worked at the Tokyo Disney theme park before appearing in a U.S. tour of Les Misérables. She began the tour as a member of the ensemble, and later understudied the role of Cosette, before she finally received the role during the tour. She then played Cosette in the Les Mis Broadway revival of 2006.
From 2009 to 2011, Ewoldt starred in North American tour and in the 50th anniversary international tour of West Side Story. In 2015, she played Tuptim in a tour of The King and I, where she "received the loudest applause from the audience after she sang her stirring, operatic interpretation of 'My Lord and Master'". Other regional theatre roles include Luisa in The Fantasticks at the Mt. Washington Valley Theatre Co.
In 2015 she appeared in The King and I revival on Broadway.
On June 13, 2016, she joined the Broadway company of The Phantom of the Opera as the show's first Asian-American Christine.
|2006||Les Miserables||Cosette||Broadhurst Theatre|
|2015-2016||The King and I||Ensemble, Tuptim Understudy (original)||Vivian Beaumont||2015 revival|
|2016-present||The Phantom of the Opera||Christine Daae||Majestic Theatre|
- "Ali Ewoldt". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Broadway.com: Ali Ewoldt". broadway.com. Retrieved 2010-01-30.
- Ferrise, Jennifer (21 July 2016). "Meet Ali Ewoldt, the Broadway Actress Breaking Boundaries in The Phantom of the Opera". instyle.com. InStyle. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "Fil-Am actress Ali Ewoldt is first Asian-American Christine in Broadway's 'Phantom of the Opera'". rappler.com. Rappler.com. 27 May 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- Ali Ewoldt biography Archived 2012-10-16 at the Wayback Machine. at her official website, accessed December 24, 2012
- Les Misérables, "Who's Who in the Cast" Archived 2013-07-19 at the Wayback Machine., Broadhurst Theatre, Playbill, November 9, 2006, accessed December 24, 2012
- Morgan, Scott C. "Park Ridge actress stars in West Side tour", Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, Illinois), July 16, 2011, accessed December 24, 2012
- Beachy, Mark. "The King and I at Wolf Trap", MD Theatre Guide, September 1, 2012
- Harris, Manning. "The King and I at The Fox", Atlanta INTown, September 7, 2012
- "Ali Ewoldt". playbill.com. Playbill. Retrieved 10 October 2018.