Jannati in December 2013 , a Quranic Competition in Nishapur
|Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance|
15 August 2013 – 19 October 2016
|Preceded by||Mohammad Hosseini|
|Succeeded by||Abbas Salehi (acting)|
|Ambassador to Kuwait|
|Preceded by||Jafar Mousavi|
|Succeeded by||Ruhollah Ghahremani|
|Preceded by||Reza Mirabian|
|Succeeded by||Jafar Mousavi|
|Governor of Khorasan Province|
|President||Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani|
|Preceded by||Amir Abedini|
|Succeeded by||Esmail Mofidi|
|Governor of Khuzestan Province|
|Preceded by||Mohammad Forouzandeh|
|Succeeded by||Mohsen Mirdamadi|
|Born||1949 (age 67–68)
|Political party||Moderation and Development Party|
|Parents||Ahmad Jannati (father)|
|Alma mater||Haghani Institute|
Early life and education
Jannati has had various position in different public institutions of Iran. He began his career in the revolutionary guards as being commander-in-chief of Armed Forces in Khorasan Province. Then he was appointed governor general of Khuzestan Province. Then he joined the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), and served as its manager in the Ahvaz branch and as judiciary envoy to IRIB.
He was nominated as culture and Islamic guidance minister by President Hassan Rouhani on 4 August 2013 and was confirmed by the Majlis on 15 August, receiving 234 votes for and 36 votes against. 12 Majlis members were absent in the voting session.
In February 2015, he was harshly criticized by conservatives after the music album To Ra Ey Kohan Boomo Bar Doost Daram was published. He was also criticized by reformists after his functions in cancellation of concerts in some cities. He resigned on 19 October 2016 as part of a cabinet reshuffle, after days of speculations about his dismissal by President Hassan Rouhani.
- Seyed Hossein Mousavian (5 July 2013), "The Rise of the Iranian Moderates", Al-Monitor, retrieved 7 December 2016
- Alfoneh, Ali (5 August 2013). "All the President's Men: Rouhani's Cabinet" (Policy Brief). Foundation for Defense of Democracies. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Iran's new Culture Minister appointed". Iran Book News Agency. 17 August 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Iran's New Culture Minister Key Figure in Rouhani's Cabinet". Al Monitor. 2 August 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "President Hassan Rouhani's pragmatic conservative, security-intelligence-oriented Cabinet nominations". Iran Politik. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Biography of Jannati, proposed as Minister of Culture and the Islamic Guidance". IRNA. 5 August 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Rouhani's proposed cabinet line-up". Iran Daily. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Iranian Parliament Gives Vote of Confidence to Majority of Rouhani's Proposed Ministers". Fars News. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Esfandiari, Golnaz (February 7, 2015). "Female Singing At Center Of New Attacks Against Iran's Rohani". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty . Retrieved February 27, 2015.