||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (November 2012)|
Ali Luminescent performing a fire dance at the Shanghai Mermaid in 2012
|Born||April 17, 1981|
Ali Luminescent (born 17 April 1981), also known as Ali Schmitz, is a model, actress, and multi-media performance artist who produces large scale art, participatory art events, and circus spectacle theatre. Through her creations Ali Luminescent is the embodiment of the neo-faerie culture that is sweeping the world.
Ali Luminescent grew up in the theatre spending extended time in the costume and make-up department. She performs a variety of circus arts including stilt walking, hula hooping, aerial hoop and fire dancing and is well known for elaborate costuming and creature creation. Ali is a strong supporter of the faerie realm and all things magickal.
She has performed as a stilt dancing back-up dancer for T-Pain, worked with Tommy Hilfiger and Glamour Magazine and appeared at avant-garde art shows such as the Mark Ryden opening at the Paul Kasmin Gallery of "Old Thyme:The Gay 90's" wearing a large meat dress inspired from his "Incarnation" painting which hailed international acclaim from W Magazine editor, UK based Juxtapoz Magazine, and Bizarre (magazine).
Recently, The Intergalactic Unicorns, a high-end boutique act composed of Christine Geiger, Claire deLuxe, and Luminescent have been taking the New York scene by storm making appearances at Lady Gaga's ARTPOP Gallery show onstage with Tony Award winner Billy Porter of Kinky Boots and night clubs out and about town.
Ali Luminescent has also been featured in the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Spring and Fall seasons of couture fashion line Papusza Couture—bringing her antics to the runway via roller skates, stilts, and trapeze.
Other notable performances include the Tim Burton Benefit Dinner at the MoMA as well as author Neil Gaiman and partner and performer Amanda Palmer's New York City engagement party held in unison with Cynthia von Buhler's elaborate birthday bash where Ali Luminescent and performer and MUA Christine Geiger presented as cotton candy flavored Victorian Siamese stilt-walking twins in honor of the musical collaboration of Amanda Palmer and Jason Webley "Evelyn, Evelyn" and the release of the graphic novel "Evelyn Evelyn: A Terrible Tale in Two Tomes (Dark Horse)" illustrated by Von Buhler.
Ali Luminescent was cast as the Bronx Italian speakeasy host in "Speakeasy Dollhouse" by aforementioned Von Buhler which is in its third year running. The acclaimed immersive theatre piece was included in the Discovery Channel's Oddities show as well as the documentary "Of Dolls and Murder" directed by Susan Marks and narrated by John Waters. American Theatre Magazine featured her role in "Speakeasy Dollhouse" in their July/August 2013 issue.
International festivals including Envision in Costa Rica, Sonic Bloom in Colorado, Electric Forest in Michigan, PEX summer fest in Maryland, and Burning Man in Black Rock City, Nevada have featured Ali Luminescent and her antics with Govinda Music, Random Rab, Phutureprimative, Ill-Esha, Dessert Dwellers, J-Boogie, Cut Chemist, The Polish Ambassador and Gaudi.
In 2008 Ali Luminescent became the founder and head producer of the public street parade "Kaleidoscope", allowing over 500 costumed enthusiasts, including stilt walkers, hula hoopers, and pretend unicorns to enjoy public spaces around New York City, concluding with a 2-hour fire performance. This event ran for 3 years.
Luminescent took on the role as Performance Curator for Figment (arts event) in 2008 and 2009. Figment is a large, free, public participatory art event featuring over 400 artists and bringing over 13,000 visitors to Governors Island helping to transition the land into an island for the arts.
In February 2010 Ali Luminescent wrote, produced, and directed "The Wonderneath", a circus theatre adventure featuring Lady Circus members Jordann Baker, Claire de Luxe, Ellie Mio and herself along with Ateles Aerial at the House of Yes (Brooklyn). Music was performed by Tin Pan and complemented by lead role and guest vocalist Kai Altair. The show was sponsored by the Swarovski CRYSTALIZED line, allowing costumes and set pieces to be laden in crystal.
Film and TV appearances
- Featured as the Earth Goddess in "1000 Names Productions" 2010 video release of "Hidden Sister" as a woman that is part 9 foot tree to the song "Shine" by singer Kai Altair. She is featured alongside Anya Sapozhnikova, Veronica Varlow, Sera Solstice, and Abby Hertz. This short has been accepted into 11 film festivals throughout North America and Australia including the Tribeca Film Festival and the Miami Short Film Festival.
- Sashayed the winning look on Project Runway Season 9 Episode 3: Go Big or Go Home as a stilt walking model for their first ever outdoor public fashion show in Battery Park City.
- Cast as the Purple-spotted Swallowtail Butterfly Goddess in the short film "Dreams of the Last Butterflies" along with Kai Altair and featured on the cover of International Art and Fashion Magazine- "Miroir Magazine" This film has been accepted into 12 film festivals internationally
Awards and accolades
Ali Luminescent is an alternative Pageant Queen who holds multiple titles.
- Miss Firefly 2007
- Miss Black Rock City 2007
- Miss Everything to Infinity
- Best Mermaid 2009 at the Coney Island Mermaid Parade
- [dead link]"The Figment Project"
- http://22.214.171.124/?q=ali-schmitz "Legends of Style Artist"
- [dead link]
- "pictures from the 2009 Mermaid Parade in Coney Island". Brooklynvegan.com. 2009-06-21. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "Tim Burton: Movie Director Gets a Tribute, Olsen Twins Attend". StyleCaster. 2009-11-18. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- [dead link]
- MIROIR Magazine. "Miroir Magazine Lyri... | MIROIR MAGAZINE • "Lyrical Dreams" •… | HP MagCloud". Magcloud.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "Ali Luminescent - Envision Festival". 2013.envisionfestival.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- [dead link]