||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Full name||Ali Mazaheri|
March 31, 1982 |
|Height||2 m (6 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||91 kg (201 lb)|
|Club||Jahan Foulad Gharb Kermanshah|
Ali Mazaheri (Persian: علی مظاهری; born March 31, 1982, in Kermanshah, Iran) is an amateur boxer from Iran, who competed in the 2006 Asian Games in the Heavyweight (-91 kg) division and won the gold medal in the final bout against Uzbekistan's Jasur Matchanov 25–19. Mazaheri won the gold medal of the 2007 Ulan Bator in the Heavyweight (-91 kg) division.
He won the rematch against Ghoussoun to qualify for the 2012 Olympics in London and was Iran's flag bearer at the opening ceremony. On 1 August 2012, he was controversially disqualified for holding his opponent in a fight he was leading 6–4 on points. He received three warnings in quick succession from German referee Frank Scharmach before being disqualified. Mazaheri, speaking through a translator, declared that he believes the fight was a 'fixed'. The International Boxing Association has since suspended Scharmach for his questionable decision during the fight, in particular for giving Mazaheri three warnings in 56 seconds. Talking about the incident AIBA President Wu Ching-Kuo said in a statement: "I deeply regret that we had to take these decisions. However, our main concern has been and will always be the protection of the integrity and fair-play of our competitions. I will take all possible steps to reinforce this."
- Heavyweight final bout results[dead link]
- Boxer Mazaheri named Iran flag-bearer for Olympic Games - Tehran Times
- "London Olympics 2012: Iranian boxer disqualified in first round". The Times Of India. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- Ebrahimi, Mahbod (2012-07-16). "Olympic boxing: Iranian boxer Ali Mazaheri says defeat was 'a fix'". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Halpin, Padraic (2012-08-02). "Boxing - Officials punished after night of shame". Uk.reuters.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
|Flagbearer for Iran
|This biographical article related to Iranian boxing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|