|Chairman of the Assembly of Experts|
12 November 1983 – 30 July 2007
|Succeeded by||Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani|
December 2, 1921|
Meshgin Shahr, Iran
|Died||July 30, 2007
|Political party||Combatant Clergy Association|
Meshkini was an Iranian Azerbaijani born in a village near Meshkin Shahr and the Sabalan mountain. He was born as Āli, but preferred the pronunciation Ali during his career. He succeeded Ayatollah Montazeri as chairman of the Iranian Assembly of Experts after the latter was ousted. The Assembly of Experts selects the Supreme Leader of Iran and supervises his activities. Meshkini chaired the commission that drafted the amendment of 1989 to the 1979 constitution of Iran. Within the commission, he also chaired one of its four committees, the one tasked with drafting amendments that would strengthen the judiciary. As such, he was an influential force in changing the leadership of the judiciary from a triumvirate, the Supreme Judicial Council, to an individual in 1989.
Meshkini was the chair of Society of Seminary Teachers of Qom and also served as Friday Prayer Leader in Qom. Despite his old age and poor health, he became a candidate for re-election in 2006 Assembly of Experts elections.
Meshkini died on July 30, 2007, at Tehran Hospital at 16:30 local time of respiratory and kidney failure.
Quotes & Political views
Meshkini was known for his unyielding support of the likes of Khamenei, Ahmadinejad and the hardline politicians of Iran. He regarded the Iranian Reformist Movement "as a complete waste of time" and on several occasions called for the resignation of the likes of Mohammad Khatami.
After the election of Ahmadinejad, Meshkini spoke at a Friday prayer in Ardebil saying: "As the Supreme Leader of The Assembly of Experts of the Islamic Republic of Iran and South Azerbaijan, it gives me great pleasure to announce that Dr. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is our new President. From this moment onwards, we will follow his words (religiously). Our people in Azerbaijan will follow him alongside the Persians in the same spirit of brotherhood that we have kept for decades..as Shi'ias".
Referring to US occupation of Iraq, Meshkini said: "A bully has embarked on a military expedition and has attacked another bully in the midst of Islamic countries... Look at what they have done and what they are doing under the pretext of freedom... The mask of deception has been lifted from the face of Bush and Blair. It has become clear that they are both blood-sucking Hitlers."
Referring to 7th parliament members, Ali Meshkini said that the list of candidates had signed by Imam Mahdi: "...I have a special gratitude for Honorable Baqiyatullah (aj), whom when seven months ago during the Night of Power the Divine angels presented him with the list of the names and addresses of the members of the (new) parliament, , His Eminency signed all of them...".
In a meeting with Ayatollah Khamene'i: Speaking about the creation, Islamic Messiah and the Islamic Republic: "The purpose of the creation of man is the happiness [and prosperity] of humankind. That purpose will be fulfilled with the advent of the Lord of the Age (may God hasten his advent). The Islamic ruling order [in Iran] also has been founded for that reason and proceeds along that course." From the daily Kayhan, 3 September 2006 (12 Shahrivar 1385) [The Qur'an says God created man to worship Him.]
- http://www.tabrizinfo.com/tabriz/amaman-jomi/mishghini.htm http://jameeh.com/zendegi/meshkini.htm
- "The chairman of the Assembly of Experts died" (in Persian). Radio Zamaneh. 2007-08-30. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Modarresi, Farid. "Ayatollah's trilogy (سهگانهٔ آیتالله)" (in Persian). Shahrvand -e Emrooz. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- "Ayatollah Meshkini's letter to the districts ulama: the list of candidates of the Society of Teachers for the Assembly of Experts election" (in Persian). Hayat. 2006-11-05. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- Abtahi, Mohammad Ali (2006-08-31). "If Ayatollah Meshkini had retired (اگر آیةالله مشکینی بازنشسته شده بود)" (in Persian). Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- AFP (2007-07-30). "Key Iran clerical body chief dies after illness". Yahoo! News. Retrieved 2007-08-08.[dead link]
- TIME MAGAZINE: The loyal cleric of Iran: Meshkini 07/08/06
- "16th Experts Assembly session kicks off". IRNA. 2006-08-29. Archived from the original on 2007-05-10. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
- "Iraq situation torments Iranians". BBC News. 2003-04-13. Retrieved 2007-08-08.
Quotations related to Ali Meshkini at Wikiquote
- BBC on Assembly of Experts
- Friday Sermon at Qom: Pray that God Ends the Lives of Bush, Blair and Sharon Soon. Iranian Leaders Must Promote Nuclear Activities (video clip from 4 Dec. 2004)
- Friday Sermon at Qom: Pray that God Ends the Lives of Bush, Blair and Sharon Soon. Iranian Leaders Must Promote Nuclear Activities (transcript)
|Chair of Assembly of Experts
Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani
|Friday prayers Imam of Qom
Abdollah Javadi Amoli