|Second Deputy Speaker of the Parliament of Iran|
31 May 2016
|Preceded by||Mohammad-Reza Bahonar|
|Member of the Parliament of Iran|
28 May 2008
|Constituency||Tehran, Rey, Shemiranat and Eslamshahr|
December 1957 or January 1958 (age 59)
|Political party||People's Voice Coalition|
|Principlists Pervasive Coalition (2008)
United Front of Principlists (2008)
List of Hope (2016)
|Spouse(s)||Narges Ansari (m. 1982)|
|Relations||Ali Larijani (brother-in-law)|
|Children||Morteza, Reza, Leila, Zahra|
Azam "Aliyeh" Rouhani
|Alma mater||University of Tehran|
Ali Motahari (Persian: علی مطهری) is an Iranian conservative politician who represents Tehran, Rey, Shemiranat and Eslamshahr electoral district in the Parliament of Iran since 2008 and is current Second Deputy of the Parliament of Iran serving since 2016.
Motahari is a brother-in-law of current Majles Speaker Ali Larijani, and a harsh critic of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. He criticized Ahmadinejad for his "self-centered" policies saying: "It is unprecedented and inappropriate that a president simply says I do not accept this law and will not execute it. This is a sign of despotism." Motahari tried to summon Ahmadinejad to parliament to face questioning and possible impeachment. Though a conservative, he has been something of a maverick.
|2012||Parliament Round 1||455,303||22.77||9th||Went to Round 2|
|Parliament Round 2||380,653||33.79||4th||Won|
According to a poll conducted in March 2016 by Information and Public Opinion Solutions LLC (iPOS) among Iranian citizens, Motahari has 36% approval and 15% disapproval ratings and thus a +21% net popularity; while 40% of responders don't know him.
- Banafsheh Keynoush (2012), "Iran after Ahmadinejad", Survival: Global Politics and Strategy, New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 54 (3): 127–146, doi:10.1080/00396338.2012.690988
- Ariabarzan Mohammadi (2014), The path dependent nature of factionalism in post-Khomeini Iran (Discussion Paper), Durham University, p. 26
- Katayoun Kishi (February 24, 2016). "Iran's Election Coalitions". United States Institute of Peace. Retrieved March 10, 2016.
- Bar, Zvi. "In election-season Iran, domestic politics trump fear of Israeli attack - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News". Haaretz.com. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- "Ahmadinejad Files Suit Against Conservative MP". insideIRAN. 2010-08-02. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- "نتيجه قطعي انتخابات تهران اعلام شد", Fars News Agency (in Persian), 17 March 2008, retrieved 10 February 2016
- "۵۲۷ کاندیدای تهران در انتخابات ۱۲ اسفند چقدر رای آوردند؟", Khabaronline (in Persian), 18 March 2012, retrieved 10 February 2016
- نتایج نهایی و رسمی مرحله دوم انتخابات تهران + گرایش سیاسی. Asr Iran (in Persian). 16 May 2012. 212705. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "ریز آمار نتایج 1021 کاندیدای نمایندگی مجلس در تهران + فیلم مرور روز انتخابات", Iranian Students' News Agency (in Persian), 27 February 2016, retrieved 27 February 2016
- "ظریف محبوبترین چهره سیاسی ایران". Information and Public Opinion Solutions LLC (in Persian). 24 May 2016. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ali Motahari.|