Ali Zafar at Indian Film Festival, 2011
|Native name||علی ظفر|
|Birth name||Ali Mohammad Zafar|
18 May 1980 |
Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
|Genres||Pop, Electronic, Folk, Classical, Sufi rock|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, composer, actor, painter, model|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Keyboard|
|Labels||Universal Records, Coke Studio, Sony Music, Alif Records, Frank Finn, Fire Records|
Ali Mohammad Zafar better known as Ali Zafar (born 18 May 1980), is a Pakistani singer, songwriter, music producer, painter, actor and model. He started his career as a music composer. Ali gained popularity by his single Channo from his debut album Huqa Pani which sold over five million copies worldwide. Channo turned out to be a huge success topping many music charts.
Zafar made his acting career in 2010 with the Bollywood film Tere Bin Laden for which he was nominated for Filmfare Best Male Debut Award. In 2011, Zafar appeared in the films Luv Ka The End and Mere Brother Ki Dulhan which lead to won him Stardust Award for Superstar of Tomorrow – Male. He worked successfully in Bollywood films London, Paris, New York (2012), Chashme Baddoor (2013) and Total Siyapaa (2014).
Zafar has also won three Lux Style Awards, three Indus Music Awards and three MTV Style Awards. In 2012, he was awarded by Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards in India. Zafar was also voted as the "Sexiest Asian Man on the Planet" based on a worldwide poll by the British newspaper Eastern Eye in 2013.
- 1 Early life and career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Television
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Discography
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early life and career
2003-2009: Early life, career beginnings, albums and awards
Ali Zafar was born in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan in a Punjabi family. His parents Mohammad Zafarullah and Kanwal Ameen were professors at the University of Punjab, Pakistan. He received ealry education at C.A.A. Public School. He completed his graduation from the Government College of Lahore and the National College of Arts. Zafar started his career as a sketch artist at Pearl Continental Hotel in Lahore and then began acting in television serials. Zafar made his debut as a musician in 2003 with the album Huqa Pani which was a success. The album sold over 600,000 copies worldwide and winning several awards and nominations including 2004 Lux Style Award for "Best Album" and 2008 "Best Male Artist" award at the MTV awards. making Zafar one of the most popular pop singers in Pakistan. It was also claimed that Himesh Reshammiya copied one of the track "Rangeen" from Zafar's album in his song "Dillagi Mein Jo".
Zafar joined Coke Studio (Pakistan) in 2008 and performed the songs "Allah Hu", "Yaar Dhadhi Ishq", "Nahin Ray Nahin" and "Daastan-e-Ishq", in season one and two.
Zafar released his second album "Masty" in November 2006. He has released four videos from the album, titled "Masty", "Sajania", "Dekha" and "Aasmaan". The music video of the single "Dekha", was the named as the most expensive music video of Pakistan, costing more than rupees ten million. The video was produced by Lux and was shot in Malaysia featuring Reema Khan, Meera, and Amina Haq. The song was also made part of the Hollywood film Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, which was released on 24 September 2010. He is currently the fourth Pakistani artist after Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Strings and Atif Aslam to have a songs featured in Hollywood films. He also won the "Youth Icon" award in the Lux Style Awards 2007, in Malaysia.
2010-present: Acting career, Bollywood and Coke Studio
Zafar started his acting career as a television actor. He acted in drama serials Kanch Ke Par and Kollege Jeans. He also offered a role in 2007 Khuda Kay Liye but was unable to sign due to some personal reasons. The role was then performed by Fawad Afzal Khan.
In 2010, He made his debut as a film actor in the Bollywood film Tere Bin Laden which was directed by Abhishek Sharma. Tere Bin Laden released on 16 July 2010 and was a major success in India but was banned in Pakistan by the Pakistan film censor board. He then got nominated for IIFA Awards, Screen Awards, Zee Cine Awards and Filmfare Awards. He was also named as the first Pakistani to be called to Indian Film Festival at Australia in March 2011 for his movie screening.
In 2011, he appeared in another Bollywood film Luv Ka The End in which he made special appearance as "Freddy Kapoor". Zafar also acted in the film Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (2011) with Imran Khan and Katrina Kaif. The film was released on 9 September 2011.
Zafar starred in the film London, Paris, New York with Aditi Rao Hydari, directed by Anuradha Menon. Zafar also composed the soundtrack for the film. He then received Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Award for "Best New Talent-Male" and Superstar of tomorrow in Stardust Awards for his performances in London, Paris, New York and Mere Brother Ki Dulhan.
Zafar then did another two films in 2014, Total Siyappa which was a romantic comedy film released on 7 March 2014 and Kill Dil which was released on 14 November 2014. He also released a single "Urain Ge" as tribute to victims of 2014 Peshawar school massacre in 2014.
He joined Coke Studio in 2015 after six years in the 8 season where he performed three songs. The first song 'Rockstar' became popular worldwide. It received more than 2 million views on YouTube. The song was also appreciated by Imran Khan, Mahira Khan, Sonu Nigam, Hrithik Roshan and Adnan Sami through tweets and Facebook posts. Zafar then performed the second song "Ae Dil" with Sara Haider and the third song "Ajj Din Vehre Vich".
In 2012, Zafar performed at Lux Style Awards with Humaima Malick and also paid tribute to musician Mehdi Hassan by singing his ghazal 'Mujhe Tum Nazar Say'.  He also performed at the Pantaloons Femina Miss India 2012 contest held at Bhavans Ground in Mumbai on March 30, 2012 and GiMA Awards 2012.
Zafar also performed at Lifestyle Pakistan Expo where he walked the ramp for designer brand ChenOne and also performed with a dhol. Zafar was also invited to perform in 2013 Cannes Film Festival held at Cannes, France.
Zafar married his long-time fiancee Ayesha Fazli who is also distant relative of Indian actor Aamir Khan on 28 July 2009 in Lahore, Pakistan. On 6 March 2010, his first child was born. He named the baby boy Azaan Zafar. On 23 February 2015, Alyza Zafar, his second child was born in Lahore. The baby girl was named Alyza Zafar, suggested by Azaan Zafar.
|2000||Kanch Ke Par||Temur||PTV Home|
|2002||Landa Bazar||Ramis||PTV Home|
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||Tere Bin Laden||Ali Hassan||Nominated-Filmfare Best Male Debut Award|
|2011||Luv Ka The End||Freddy Kapoor||Special appearance in song "Fun Funaa"|
|2011||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Luv Agnihotri|
|2012||London, Paris, New York||Nikhil Chopra|
|2013||Chashme Baddoor||Siddharth Kashyap|
|2014||Total Siyapaa||Aman Ali|
|2015||Tere Bin Laden 2||TBA||Cameo|
|2015||Ahsan Rahim's Next||TBA||Filming|
|21 November 2003||Huqa Pani|
|1 December 2006||Masty|
|14 February 2011||Jhoom|
|2003||Shararat||Jugnuon Se Bhar Le Aanchal||Wajahat Attray||Solo|
|2010||Tere Bin Laden||Bas Ek Soch
I Love Amreeka
Ullu Da Pattha
Welcome To Amreeka
|2011||Luv Ka The End||F.U.N Fun Funna||Ram Sampath||Solo|
|2011||Love Mein Ghum||Love Mein Ghum||Waqar Ali||Waqar Ali|
|2011||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Madhubala||Sohail Sen||Shweta Pandit|
|2012||London, Paris, New York||London Paris New York
Voh Dekhnay Mein
Thehree Si Zindagi
|Ali Zafar||Sunidhi Chauhan
Aditi Rao Hydari
|2013||Chashme Baddoor||Early Morning (Remix)
Dhichkyaaon Doom Doom
Andha Ghoda Race Mein Dauda
|2014||Total Siyapaa||Total Siyapaa
Palat Meri Jaan
|2014||Kill Dil||Nakhriley||Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy||Shankar Mahadevan, Mahalakshmi Iyer, Gulzar|
|2015||Hey Bro||DJ||Nitz 'N' Sony||Sunidhi Chauhan|
Coke Studio (Pakistan)
|2008||Janay Na Koi|
|2008||Chal Dil Meray|
|2009||Nahin Ray Nahin|
|2015||Ae Dil Kissi Ke Yaad Mein|
|2015||Ajj Din Vehre Vich|
|Those For Truth|
|Ain't No Sunshine (Cover)|
|Rise For Jazba (Official Pakistan Cricket World Cup 2011 song)|
|Dunia Hai Dil Walon Ki (Pepsi World Cup 2011 song)|
|Zindagi Gulzar Hai|
|Facebook Pe Chalta Hai|
|Youn Challay Ke Ballay Ballay|
|Mobilink Har Dil Har Din|
|Pakistan Idol Anthem|
|Urain Ge (Tribute for APS students)|
|Hanstay Hanstay (Pakistan's Defense Day)|
|Ab Khel Ke Dikha (PSL's official anthem)|
Awards and nominations
|Indus Music Awards|
|2004||Best Debut Artist||Huqa Pani||Won|
|2004||Best Album||Huqa Pani||Won|
|2005||Best Pop Artist||Huqa Pani||Won|
|Lux Style Awards|
|2004||Best Music Album||Huqa Pani||Won|
|2007||Best Music Album||Masty||Nominated|
|2007||Youth Icon Award||–||Won|
|Song of the Year||Jhoom||Nominated|
|2013||Best Original Soundtrack||Zindagi Gulzar Hai||Won|
|Asian Bollywood Music Awards|
|2005||Best Pop Music Album in Pakistan||Huqa Pani||Won|
|MTV Style Awards|
|2008||Best Male Artist||(Unspecified)||Won|
|2008||Most Stylish Artist||–||Won|
|2009||Best Male Singer||(Unspecified)||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards|
|2011||Best Male Debut||Tere Bin Laden||Nominated|
|ARY Film Awards|
|2011||Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut||Tere Bin Laden||Nominated|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards(IIFA)|
|2011||Star Debut of the Year-Male||Tere Bin Laden||Nominated|
|Star Screen Awards|
|2011||Most Promising Newcomer-Male||Tere Bin Laden||Nominated|
|2011||Song of the Year||Jhoom||Won|
|2011||Personality of the Year||–||Nominated|
|2011||Superstar of Tomorrow-Male||Tere Bin Laden||Nominated|
|2012||New Musical Sensations-Male||"Madhubala" from Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Nominated|
|2012||Superstar of Tomorrow-Male||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Won|
|Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards|
|2012||Best New Talent-Male||Mere Brother Ki Dulhan||Won|
|Pakistan Media Awards|
|2012||Best Singer Male||Jhoom||Nominated|
|2012||Best Playback Singer||Love Mein Ghum||Nominated|
|2014||Best Drama Original Soundtrack||Zindagi Gulzar Hai||Nominated|
|2014||Best Singer Male||Nominated|
|2014||Hum Award for Best Original Soundtrack||Zindagi Gulzar Hai||Nominated|
|Karawood Film Festival|
|2015||Most Versatile Artist||Won|
Other awards and honours
- 18th Sexiest Man Of Asia (Eastern Eye – 2006)
- 8th Sexiest Man Of Asia (Eastern Eye – 2007)
- YAN National Youth Forum 2007 – Youth Ambassador
- 4th Sexiest Man Of Asia (Eastern Eye – 2008)
- 8th Sexiest Man Of Asia (Eastern Eye – 2009)
- 4th rank in "51 Most Beautiful and Handsome Men" (fortnightly newspaper)
- 5th Sexiest Man Of Asia (Eastern Eye – 2010)
- 19th Most Desirable Man (itimes.com – 2010)
- Indian Poll : Face of the Year – 2010 (More Than 400000 Votes)
- 5th Sexiest Man Of Asia (Eastern Eye – 2011)
- 17th Most Desirable Man (itimes.com – 2011)
- 2nd Sexiest Man Of Asia (Eastern Eye – 2012)
- Paper People's Choice Award: 2nd Hottest Pakistani Men in Media
- Sexiest Asian Man On The Planet (Eastern Eye - 2013)
- 3rd Sexiest Man Of Asia (Eastern Eye - 2014)
- Most Stylish Import (HT Style Mumbai - 2015)
- Most Stylish Import (HT Style Delhi - 2015)
- List of Bollywood films
- List of Indian playback singers
- Music of Pakistan
- History of Pakistani pop music
- List of Lollywood actors
- "Ali Zafar, Rockstar, Coke Studio Season 8, Episode 2". YouTube. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Coke Studio 8: Sugar, spice and some things nice". Express Tribune. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Coke Studio: Will songs from Episode 2 make it to your wedding soundtrack?". Dawn. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Ali Zafar – Pakistani Fashion Model". Fashioncentral.pk. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- "Indian Film Festival 2011". Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Ali Zafar". http://www.in.com/.
- "Huqa Pani - Ali Zafar Pakistani Songs-Channo,Huqa Pani,Chal Dil Merey Raag.fm". raag.fm.
- Saltz, Rachel (5 August 2010). "Tere Bin Laden". NYtimes.com. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Total Siyapaa is a comedy with a cause: Ali Zafar". tribune.com.pk.
- "Ali Zafar’s new film ‘Total Siyapaa’ hits Pakistani cinemas". The News International, Pakistan. 9 March 2014.
- Agha Majid. "Chashme Baddoor Remake Starring Ali Zafar Releasing In August". Play TV.
- "Ali Zafar to receive Indian award". tribune.com.pk.
- "Amitabh, Dilip Kumar receive Dadasaheb Phalke Academy award". thesundayindian.com.
- "Ali Zafar Crowned Sexiest Asian Man on the Planet". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Girls used to come to me to get their portraits made: Ali Zafar". The Times of India. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- "Lux Style Awards 2004 exclusively on Sony Entertainment Television Asia (official press release) (PDF)" (PDF). 25 June 2004.
- "'Dillagi' and 'Marjawan'".
- Aelina (4 August 2005). "Aashiq Banaya Aapne – When Himesh meets Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan". IndiaGlitz. Archived from the original on 14 June 2006. Retrieved 2006-05-29.
- "Lux Style Awards 2012: Glamour's night out". The Express Tribune. July 10, 2012.
- "Review: London Paris New York". NDTVMovies.com.
- "All you wanted to know about 'Tere Bin Laden'". Archived from the original on 18 August 2010. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- Shah, Kunal M (18 August 2010). "Ali Zafar signs Yash Raj film". Times of India. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- "Chashme Baddoor scores big at the box office". The News International. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Did you know? Ali Zafar’s Aman ki Asha has been renamed Total Siyappa". The Express Tribune. 13 November 2013. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- "Ali Zafar tugs at heartstrings with 'Urain Ge'". Anum Rehman Chagani. Dawn. 7 Feb 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Ali Zafar excited for 'Urainge'". The Times of India. 5 February 2015. Retrieved 16 February 2015.
- "Ali Zafar to produce his dream project 'Deosai'". The Times of India.
- "added performances". Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "perform with humaimah". Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "tribute to legend mehdi hassan". Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Ali Zafar invited to attend Cannes Film Festival". Bollywood Hungama. May 9, 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "We Danced our heart out in Bollywood Showstoppers". Digital Spy. 8 August 2014. Retrieved 8 August 2014.
- "'Ali Zafar is Aamir's brother'". The Times of India.
- "Ali Zafar and Aamir Khan related". mid-day.com.
- Ali Zafar, Aamir Khan related?
- "Ali Zafar is now a father!". 9 March 2010. Retrieved 11 June 2010.
- "Ali Zafar names newly-born daughter Alyza". The Indian Express. 2 March 2015.
- Maliha Rehman. "Ali Zafar: Balancing act". dawn.com.
- "Ali Zafar’s fans to participate in Pak’s biggest flashmob". Daily Times.
- "Pakistanmedia awards". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Ali Zafar beats Hrithik Roshan to become the sexiest Asian man on the planet". ibnlive.in.com.
- "Did you know? Ali Zafar first Pakistani to be named Hottest Asian Man". The Express Tribune. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ali Zafar.|