Type of site
|Industry||Cloud Computing, Web Services|
Alibaba Cloud, also known as Aliyun (Chinese: 阿里云; pinyin: Ālǐyún; lit. 'Ali Cloud'), is a cloud computing company, a subsidiary of Alibaba Group. Alibaba Cloud provides cloud computing services to online businesses and Alibaba's own e-commerce ecosystem. Its international operations are registered and headquartered in Singapore.
Alibaba Cloud offers cloud services that are available on a pay-as-you-go basis, and include elastic compute, data storage, relational databases, big-data processing, anti-DDoS protection and content delivery networks (CDN).
It is the largest cloud computing company in China, and in Asia Pacific according to Gartner. Alibaba Cloud operates data centers in 24 regions and 74 availability zones around the globe. As of June 2017, Alibaba Cloud is placed in the Visionaries' quadrant of Gartner's Magic Quadrant for cloud infrastructure as a service, worldwide.
- September 2009 – Alibaba Cloud is founded and R&D centers and operation centers are subsequently opened in Hangzhou, Beijing, and Silicon Valley.
- November 2010 – Supported the first Single's Day (11.11) Taobao shopping festival, with 2.4 billion PV in 24 hours.
- November 2012 – Became the first Chinese cloud service provider to pass ISO27001:2005 (Information Security Management System).
- January 2013 – Merged with HiChina for www.net.cn business.
- August 2013 – ApsaraDB architecture supported 5000 physical machines in a single cluster.
- December 2014 – Defended a 14-hour long DDoS attack, peaking at 453.8Gbit/s.
- May 2014 – Hong Kong data center went online.
- October 2015 – Two US data centers went online.
- July 2015 – Alibaba Group invested a further US$1 billion to Alibaba Cloud.
- August 2015 – Alibaba Cloud's first Singapore data center opened. Singapore is announced as Alibaba Cloud's overseas headquarters.
- October 2015 – MaxCompute took the lead of the Sort Benchmark, sorting 100TB data in 377s compared with Apache Spark's previous record of 1406s.
- October 2015 – Alibaba Cloud Computing Conference was held in Hangzhou and attracted over 20,000 developers.
- November 2015 – Supported the 11.11 shopping festival with a record of $14.2 billion transactions in 24 hours.
- April 2016 – Alibaba Cloud partnered with SK Holdings C&C to provide cloud services to Korean and Chinese companies.
- May 2016 – Alibaba Group and SoftBank formalized joint venture to launch cloud services in Japan that utilize technologies and solutions from Alibaba Cloud.
- June 2016 – Alibaba Cloud expanded its data center operations in Singapore with the establishment of a second availability zone. Alibaba Cloud also achieved two new certifications overseas: Singapore Multi-Tier Cloud Security (MTCS) standard Level 3, and the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).
- November 2016 - Alibaba Cloud partnered with Vodafone Germany for Data Center operation and to provide cloud services to German and European companies.
- January 2017 – Alibaba became the official cloud services provider of the Olympics.
- February 2017 - Became Founding Member of the EU Cloud Code of Conduct.
- June 2017 – Alibaba Cloud is placed in the Visionaries quadrant of Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Cloud Infrastructure as a Service, Worldwide.
- July 2017 – Alibaba Cloud official website is changed from intl.aliyun.com to www.alibabacloud.com.
- September 2017 – Alibaba Cloud partners with Malaysia's Fusionex to provide cloud solutions in Southeast Asia.
- October 2017 – Alibaba Cloud partners with Elastic and launches a new service called Alibaba Cloud Elasticsearch.
- October 2017 - Alibaba Cloud Malaysia data center commences operations.
- December 2017 - Alibaba Cloud India data center commences operations.
- December 2017 - Alibaba Cloud received the C5 standard certification from German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) for its datacenters in Germany and Singapore.
- February 2018 - Alibaba Cloud Indonesia data center commences operations.
- June 8, 2021 - Alibaba Cloud further expands its Asia Footprint with its first data center in the Philippines.
- October 19, 2021 - Alibaba Cloud unveils the ARM-based Yitian 710 chip, designed in-house, for use in its data centers.
- November 24, 2021 - The bug Log4Shell disclosed to Apache on November 24 by Chen Zhaojun of Alibaba Cloud Security Team.
- December 22, 2021 - The Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology suspended a partnership with Alibaba Cloud for "failure in reporting cybersecurity vulnerabilities" related to the Log4Shell bug.
The Alibaba Cloud engineering team discovered a remote code execution vulnerability in the Apache Log4j2 component known as Log4Shell. The team notified the U.S.-based Apache Software Foundation about the vulnerability. The Chinese government received notice of the vulnerability from a third party, and not from Alibaba Cloud who discovered the exploit. As a result, the Chinese government suspended their cybersecurity deal with Alibaba Cloud.
Data center regions
Alibaba Cloud has 25 regional data centres globally.
Regions outside Mainland China (13)
Asia Pacific SE 1 (Singapore), Asia Pacific SE 2 (Sydney), Asia Pacific SE 3 (Kuala Lumpur), Asia Pacific SE 5 (Jakarta), Asia pacific SE 6 (Philippines), Asia Pacific SOU 1 (Mumbai), Asia Pacific NE 1 (Tokyo), US East 1 (Virginia), US West 1 (Silicon Valley), EU Central 1 (Frankfurt), UK (London), Middle East 1 (Dubai), China (Hong Kong)
Regions in Mainland China (12)
China North 1 (Qingdao), China North 2 (Beijing), China North 3 (Zhangjiakou), China North 5 (Hohhot), China North 6 (Ulanqab), China East 1 (Hangzhou), China East 2 (Shanghai), China East 3 (Nanjing), China South 1 (Shenzhen), China South 2 (Heyuan), China South 3 (Guangzhou), China West 1 (Chengdu)
Alibaba Cloud announced they will launch new Data Center in South Korea and Thailand by 2022.
Alibaba Cloud provides cloud computing IaaS, PaaS, DBaaS and SaaS, including services such as e-commerce, big data, Database, IoT, Object storage (OOS), Kubernetes and data customization which can be managed from Alibaba web page or using
aliyun command line tool.
On April 26, 2019, TPC published TPC-DS benchmark result of AnalyticDB.
List of academic alliances:
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR)
- Hong Kong Shue Yan University
- Macao University of Science and Technology
- Télécom Paris
- SUPINFO International University
- Université de technologie sino-européenne de l'université de Shanghai
- Gadjah Mada University
- Universitas Prasetiya Mulya
- Bina Nusantara University
- Krida Wacana Christian University
- Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education
- Nanyang Polytechnic
- Republic Polytechnic
- Sekolah Tinggi Teknologi Informasi NIIT
- Usman Institute of Technology
- AISSMS Institute of Information Technology
- "10 Years of Cloud Intelligence: How Will Alibaba Change the Future of Cloud Computing?". Alibaba Cloud Community. Retrieved 2019-10-31.
- Eileen Yu (2017-08-18). "Alibaba's fiscal 2017 revenue climbs 56 percent on cloud, mobile commerce growth | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2017-06-20.
- "Alibaba Cloud Ranked First in Asia Pacific(*) by Gartner Market Share: IT Services in IaaS and IUS". www.businesswire.com. 2019-04-24. Retrieved 2021-06-06.
- "Alibaba Cloud Global Locations". AlibabaCloud. Retrieved 2021-06-06.
- "PCCW Global and Alibaba Cloud expand strategic cooperation to collaboratively protect businesses against cyber attacks". 2016-08-25. Archived from the original on 2017-08-19. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Barb Darrow. "Alibaba backs Aliyun cloud with another billion dollars". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Hang Zhi Cheng (2015-10-30). "AliCloud Technology Sets World Sorting Records Company's FuxiSort solution sorts 100TB of data in 377 seconds". The Tech Revolutionist. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Markteintritt in Europa: Alibaba Cloud setzt auf Rechenzentrum von Vodafone Deutschland - Vodafone Medien". Vodafone Medien (in German). 2016-11-21. Retrieved 2018-07-01.
- "Vodafone Partnership". www.alibabacloud.com. Retrieved 2018-07-10.
- Fitz Tepper (2017-01-19). "Alibaba is now the official cloud services provider of the Olympics". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "History: EU Cloud CoC". eucoc.cloud. Retrieved 2021-08-22.
- Jordan Novet (2017-06-15). "Alibaba just got a huge vote of confidence in the cloud war against Amazon and Microsoft". CNBC. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Alibaba Cloud International Website Official Domain Name Change". www.alibabacloud.com. 2017-07-04. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "Alibaba Cloud partners with Malaysia's Fusionex to provide cloud solutions in Southeast Asia".
- "Alibaba Cloud to Offer Elasticsearch, Kibana, and X-Pack in China". 13 October 2017.
- "Alibaba Cloud Malaysia Data Center Commences Operations".
- "Alibaba Cloud Opens New Data Center in India | Alizila.com". Alizila.com. 2017-12-19. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "BSI - Presseinformationen des BSI - Cloud Computing: C5-Testat an Alibaba Cloud". www.bsi.bund.de. Archived from the original on December 15, 2017. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Yu, Eileen. "Alibaba opens data centre in Indonesia | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- "Alibaba Cloud Further Expands its Asia Footprint with First Data Center in the Philippines". www.alibabacloud.com. Retrieved 2021-06-23.
- "Alibaba Cloud Unveils New Server Chips to Optimize Cloud Computing Services". AlibabaCloud. Retrieved 2021-10-29.
- "Log4Shell Vulnerability is the Coal in our Stocking for 2021". mcafee. 11 December 2021. Retrieved 2021-12-14.
- "Chinese regulators suspend partnership with Alibaba Cloud". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2021-12-22.
- Reuters (2021-12-22). "China regulator suspends cyber security deal with Alibaba Cloud". Reuters. Retrieved 2021-12-23.
- "China disciplines Alibaba Cloud for handling of Log4j bug". South China Morning Post. 2021-12-22. Retrieved 2021-12-23.
- "Alibaba Cloud to Launch Data Center in South Korea". AlibabaCloud. Retrieved 2021-10-29.
- "kubernetes解决方案". cn.aliyun.com. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- Cloud, Alibaba (2018-05-24). "New Product Launch: Alibaba Cloud AnalyticDB". Medium. Retrieved 2020-02-12.
- "Analyticdb for MySQL: Pb level cloud data warehouse core technology and scenario analysis". Develop Paper. 2019-10-26. Retrieved 2020-02-12.
- "AnalyticDB: Real-time OLAP Database System at Alibaba Cloud" (PDF). vldb.org.
- Alibaba Cloud (2017-09-06). "SUSS and Alibaba Cloud to Spur Entrepreneurship With New Accredited Program". Retrieved 2018-05-26.