This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alice Soares de Toledo
25 May 1906
|Died||9 March 1997 (aged 90)|
Walther Ludwig Sommerlath
Hans Jörg Sommerlath
Silvia, Queen of Sweden
Sommerlath was born in the municipality of São Manuel in the Brazilian state of São Paulo, she was the youngest child and only daughter of Elisa Novais Soares (1881–1928) and her husband Arthur Floriano de Toledo (1873–1935).
Marriage and later life
On 10 December 1925, Alice Soares de Toledo married at Santa Cecília, São Paulo to German entrepreneur Walther Sommerlath (1901–1990), eventually moving to Germany with him. There, the couple had four children:
- Ralf Sommerlath (born 1929)
- Walther Ludwig Sommerlath (born 1934)
- Hans Jörg Sommerlath (1941–2006)
- Silvia Renate Sommerlath (born 23 December 1943), married in 1976 to Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
From 1937 through 1947, they lived in Berlin.
From 1947 to 1957, the family lived in São Paulo, where Sommerlath's husband held positions such as president of the Brazilian subsidiary of Swedish company Uddeholm AB. In 1957, the Sommerlaths returned to Heidelberg.
Sommerlath was widowed in October 1990. She suffered from heart trouble and senile dementia and died at Drottningholm Palace in Ekerö Municipality, west of Stockholm in 1997. Her remains were buried in Heidelberg beside her husband's.
- "Ancestry of Queen Silvia of Sweden (b. 1943)". 2012-12-04. Archived from the original on 2012-12-04.
- Genealogia de Alice Soares de Toledo (in Portuguese)
- "The Queen speaks about the report relating to her father, Walther Som…". 2018-12-10. Archived from the original on 2018-12-10.
- "Aftonbladet nyheter: Silvia ärver 57000 efter mamma". 2018-12-10. Archived from the original on 2018-12-10.