Alice Tepper Marlin
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Alice Tepper Marlin serves as President and CEO of Social Accountability International(SAI), a standard-setting organization for improving workplaces and communities headquartered in New York City. She has held this position since 1997, upon the founding of SAI. SAI provides substantial capacity building services for its SA8000 standard, which is designed by a multi-stakeholder Advisory Board to assure decent workplaces and excellent human resource management worldwide. SA8000 is based on United Nations and ILO Conventions and Declarations, and on the ISO management systems. SAI contracts with Social Accountability Accreditation Services (SAAS) to license qualified organizations to verify compliance with the SA8000 Standard.
Alice Tepper Marlin earned her bachelor's degree in Economics in 1966 from Wellesley College, and studied at the NYU Graduate School of Business Administration. Early in her career she served as a Securities Analyst and Labor Economist at Burnham and Company, and as the editor of an international tax journal at the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation in the Netherlands. She designed and managed the first social investment portfolio management service, in 1968.
In 1969, she founded the Council on Economic Priorities (CEP), where she served as President and CEO for 33 years. CEP pioneered the social investment field and regularly published the best-selling consumer guide, “Shopping for a Better World.”
Tepper Marlin has been a frequent public speaker on corporate accountability for three decades. She is also Citi Distinguished Fellow in Ethics and Leadership at NYU’s Stern School of Business where she also serves as an Adjunct Professor in the Markets, Ethics & Law program . Additionally, Alice is a Faculty Member at Wellesley College’s Madeleine Albright Institute for Global Affairs.
- Lydenberg, Steven D; Marlin, Alice Tepper; Strub, Sean O'Brien; Council on Economic Priorities (1986), Rating America's corporate conscience : a provocative guide to the companies behind the products you buy every day, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 978-0-201-15879-3
- Marlin, Alice Tepper (1992), Shopping for a better world : a quick and easy guide to socially responsible supermarket shopping, Ballantine Books, ISBN 978-0-345-37083-9
- Resnikoff, Marvin; Audin, Lindsay; Bernstein, Nancy; Marlin, Alice Tepper (1983), The next nuclear gamble : transportation and storage of nuclear waste, CEP studies, S 83-1, Council on Economic Priorities, ISBN 978-0-87871-020-1
- Marlin, Alice Tepper; Global Academy for Social Entrepreneurship; International, Social Accountability (2006), Setting the standard for the global economy (DVD), Social entrepreneurship series, Ashoka Innovators for the Public, OCLC 71326366 Missing
|last2=in Authors list (help)
Honors and awards
- 2010 Top 100 Thought Leaders in Trustworthy Business Behavior,
- Founding Member, The Global Academy for Social Entrepreneurship, Ashoka, 2005
- Board Member, ISEAL Alliance, 2000 to 2011
- Right Livelihood Honorary Award, 1990.
- Woman of Year Award, Adweek, 1990.
- Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree, Pine Manor College, 1990
- Woodrow Wilson Senior Fellow, 1974–77
Profiled in: People, New York Times, Vogue, Time, Miami Herald, Newsday, Los Angeles Times, Palm Beach Post, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Asahi Simbun and numerous European publications.
Alice Tepper Marlin has been featured on NBC-TV’s The Today Show, ABC-TV’s Good Morning America, CBS-TV’s Morning News, CNN and many other television shows, plus over 1,000 radio programs.
- "Leading The Way - NASDAQ.com". Community.nasdaq.com. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Staff Members - SAI - New York Headquarters". Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- "SAI - New York Headquarters - Staff Members".
- A Consumer Who Uses Shopping to Try to Alter Many Corporate Policies, New York Times, March 02, 1991. Accessed August 18, 2011
- Marlin, John Tepper (2007-12-26). "CSRNYC: NYU Stern School Names Alice Tepper Marlin to Citi Fellowship". Csrnyc.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- The Top 100 Thought Leaders in Trustworthy Business Behavior™
- Right Livelihood Award, Right Livelihood Foundation. Accessed August 18, 2011
- U.S. economist takes social service award, Pittsburgh Press, October 10, 1990
- Woman of the Year, Adweek, vol 31, 1990
- Wellesley College Alumnae Association