Alien abduction insurance
Alien abduction insurance is an insurance policy issued against alien abduction. The insurance policy is redeemed if the insured person can prove they were abducted by aliens and returned to Earth. Geico insurance (which does not sell alien insurance policies) and The Daily Telegraph report that one English company has sold over 30,000 policies. Some companies offer policies for alien pregnancy, alien examinations and death caused by aliens.
The very first company to offer UFO abduction insurance was the St. Lawrence Agency in Altamonte Springs, Florida. The company pays the claimant $1 per year until their death or for 1 million years, whichever comes first. Over 20,000 people have purchased the insurance. The insurance is normally purchased by the "feeble-minded", according to Simon Burgess, former Managing Director and co-founder of British Insurance.
The Heaven's Gate religious group had purchased alien abduction insurance before their mass suicide. Their insurance company (London brokerage Goodfellow Rebecca Ingrams Pearson (GRIP) suspended sales of alien abduction insurance after the suicide but later resumed sales. The policy has been sold to about four thousand people (mostly in England and the United States). At a cost of roughly $155 a year the GRIP policy would pay about $160,000 to someone who could show that they had been abducted by a being who was not from Earth. The payment would double if the insured person was impregnated during the event. Men were also able to purchase the impregnation insurance for protection against the unknown capabilities of alien technology.
- Erb, Nathan. "Unusual Insurance Policies". Geico. Archived from the original on 22 January 2014. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- "Do you really need alien insurance?", The Daily Telegraph, June 28, 2000
- Haddock, Vicki (18 October 1998). "Don't sweat alien threat". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Dégh, Linda (2001). Legend and Belief: Dialectics of a Folklore Genre. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press. p. 446. ISBN 978-0253339294. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Seipel, Tracy (31 March 1997). "Heaven's Gate (Part 16)". Internet Sacred Text Archive. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Shepherd, Chuck (25 August 1996). "Insurance Coverage Against Alien Abduction Available". positiveatheism.org. Retrieved 15 August 2014.