Aliette de Bodard
Aliette de Bodard
Aliette de Bodard in 2013
|Born||November 10, 1982|
New York City, USA
|Occupation||Computer engineer, author|
|Genre||Science fiction, Fantasy|
|Notable works||"Immersion", "The Waiting Stars"|
|Notable awards||Nebula Award (2012, 2013), BSFA Award for Best Novel (2015), BSFA Award for Best Short Story (2010,2015)|
Aliette de Bodard is a French-American speculative fiction writer. She is of French/Vietnamese descent, born in the US, and grew up in Paris. French is her mother-tongue, but she writes in English. A graduate of École Polytechnique, she works as a software engineer specialising in image processing and is a member of the Written in Blood writers group.
She was a 2007 winner of Writers of the Future, and in 2009 was nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer. She has been published in Interzone, Hub magazine, Black Static, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, Asimov's, Realms of Fantasy, Apex Magazine, among others.
She won the 2012 Nebula Award and Locus Award for Best Short Story for her short story "Immersion". She also won the 2013 Nebula Award for "The Waiting Stars". Her short story "The Shipmaker" won the 2010 British Science Fiction Award for Best Short Fiction.
Her novelette "The Jaguar House, in Shadow" was nominated for both the Nebula and Hugo Awards. Her short story "Shipbirth" was also nominated for the Nebula. Her novella "On a Red Station, Drifting", released by Immersion Press in December 2012, was a finalist for the Nebula and Hugo. The science fiction work chronicles the conflict between two members of an extended Vietnamese family on a space station ruled by an AI, and is part of Bodard's Asian-dominated alternate-history series.
Many of her stories are set in alternate history worlds where Aztec or pre-communist Chinese cultures are dominant. Her novel Servant of the Underworld (Angry Robot/HarperCollins) is a historical fantasy/mystery set in the fifteenth-century Aztec Empire.
Bodard's short story collection Scattered Among Strange Worlds was released in July, 2012. The collection features two science fiction stories entitled "Scattered Along the River of Heaven" and "Exodus Tides". Her short story "The Dust Queen" was published in the science fiction anthology Reach for Infinity in 2014.
Her novel The House of Shattered Wings, set in a devastated Paris ruled by fallen angels, was published by Gollancz/Roc in August 2015. It won the BSFA Award for Best Novel of 2015. Her story "Three Cups of Grief, by Starlight" won the BSFA Award for Best Short Story of 2015, the first time a single author has ever won both fiction categories in the same year.
- Personal Website
- Written in Blood writers group
- Aliette de Bodard at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Interview (excerpts) from Locus magazine, August 2013
- Payne, Marshall (2009-08-11). Tan, Charles, ed. "Interview: Aliette de Bodard by Marshall Payne". Bibliophile Stalker. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- Tan, Charles (2009-11-03). "INTERVIEW: Aliette de Bodard". SF Signal. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- Barnett, David (28 March 2016). "Aliette de Bodard picks up two sci-fi awards for 'startlingly original fiction'". The Guardian. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- Ciriello, Dario (October 2009). "Ghosts and Demons: An Interview with Aliette de Bodard". The Internet Review of Science Fiction. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- Jones, Jeremy L. C. (December 2011). "Disrupting the World in Large Ways: A Conversation with Aliette de Bodard". Clarkesworld Magazine. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "2012 Nebula Award Winners". Locus Online. May 18, 2013.
- "Announcing the 2013 Locus Award Winners!". Tor.com. 2013-06-29. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- "2013 Nebula Awards Winners". Locus Online. 2014-05-17. Retrieved 2014-05-17.
- "2010 BSFA Award Winners". Locus Online. 2011-04-25. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "SFWA announces the 2010 Nebula Award Nominees". Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- Nielsen Hayden, Patrick (2011-04-24). "2011 Hugo Finalists". Tor.com. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "2011 Nebula Awards Nominees Announced". Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. 2012-02-20. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "2012 Nebula Awards Nominees Announced". Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America. 2013-02-20. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- de Bodard, Aliette. "On a Red Station, Drifting (description)". aliettedebodard.com. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "2013 Hugo Awards". The Hugo Awards. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- "Aliette de Bodard – Scattered Among Strange Worlds cover art and table of contents". Upcoming4.me. 2012-05-24. Archived from the original on 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2013-05-15.
- Alexander, Niall (12 June 2014). "Step into the Stars: Reach for Infinity, ed. Jonathan Strahan". Tor.com. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- "Gollancz acquisition". Orion Publishing Group. 2014-11-20. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "Roc Books Acquires Aliette de Bodard's The House of Shattered Wings". Tor.com. 2015-01-15. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- Glyer, Mike (2016-03-26). "2015 BSFA Awards". file770.com. Retrieved 2016-03-30.