|Founders||Zia Chishti, Kelsey Wirth|
|Headquarters||San Jose, California, USA|
(President) & (CEO)
|Products||clear aligners, scanners|
|Revenue||$1.966 billion (FY 2018)|
|$466.56 million (FY 2018)|
|$400.24 million (FY 2018)|
|Total assets||$2.05 billion (FY 2018)|
|Total equity||$1.25 billion (FY 2018)|
Number of employees
|11,660 (Dec 2018)|
Align Technology is a manufacturer of 3D digital scanners and clear aligners used in orthodontics. It is headquartered in San Jose, California; it manufactures the aligners in Juarez, Mexico and its scanners in Israel and China.
Align Technology was founded by Zia Chishti and Kelsey Wirth in 1997 and began working on the development of a clear aligner. Align received FDA clearance to market the Invisalign system in 1998 and it was first marketed in 2000. Align Technology went public on January 26, 2001 on the Nasdaq Stock Market.
In March 2011 Align acquired the Israeli company Cadent for $190 million; Cadent manufactured intraoral scanners that included 3D imaging, as well as software to display the acquired images and to plan treatment.
Joseph M. Hogan joined Align in June 2015, and serves as CEO and President.
The company's sales reached $1 billion for the first time in 2016 and its products were being used in about 8% of people who got braces. In 2017 the company was faced with the challenge of the expiration of its patents on its Invisalign system starting in October 2017 and the beginning of generic competition.
- "Align Technology 2018 Form 10-K". Align Technology. 28 February 2019. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- Phulari, Basavaraj Subhashchandra (2013). History of Orthodontics. JP Medical Ltd. p. 226. ISBN 9789350904718.
- "Align Technology Gains 33% After IPO Prices on Low Side". Wall Street Journal. 26 January 2001. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- Johnson, Steve (December 1, 2010). "FDA issues warning to Invisalign maker". Mercury News.
- DeNoon, Daniel J. (December 4, 2010). "Invisalign 'Invisible Braces' Maker Gets FDA Warning". Medscape.
- Ben-Israel, Adi (30 March 2011). "Dental imaging co Cadent bought for $190m". Globes (in Hebrew).
- Tindera, Michela (April 25, 2017). "Out Of Silicon Valley, A Billion-Dollar Orthodontics Business Built With Plastic And Patents". Forbes.
- Official website
- Business data for Align Technology: