May 17, 1959 |
Tashkent, former USSR
Alik Sakharov (Russian: Aлик Сахаров) (born May 17, 1959) is a Soviet-born American television director. A former Director of Photography, he is an active member of the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC).
Sakharov moved to the United States in 1981, settling in the New York City area. He became a naturalized US citizen in 1988.
In 1985, Sakharov entered the U.S. film scene as director of The Russian Touch—a topical documentary about the Russian people comprising the third wave of immigration to the United States. In 1992, he directed a silent short film Pausa—a visual meditation dedicated to the memory of the great poet of cinema Andrei Tarkovsky.
Sakharov began sharing the responsibilities of a lighting cameraman in 1985 in the New York industrial video scene, eventually progressing to shooting music videos, commercials, narrative films.
He served as Director of Photography on numerous feature films, as well as a formidable number of programs for network television and premium cable, most notably on HBO's The Sopranos (38 episodes, filmed in New York and New Jersey), and, as Director/cinematographer, on HBO's ROME (10 episodes, filmed in Italy's Cinecittà film studio), and Game of Thrones (8 episodes, filmed in Northern Ireland, Iceland, Malta, Croatia).
Sakharov served as Director/co-Executive Producer in the third season of Starz' television series BLACK SAILS (filmed in Cape Town, South Africa). Sakharov also served in seasons One and Two of TWC/Netflix mega budget series MARCO POLO (directing episodes: "Feast"; "The Fourth Step"; "Lost Crane"; "The Fellowship" - all filmed in Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Hungary, Slovakia). He also directed a Christmas special episode entitled "MARCO POLO: One Hundred Eyes".
Since 2006 Sakharov has worked primarily (and from 2010 exclusively) as a television director, with credits including:
- Boardwalk Empire
- Game of Thrones
- The Sopranos (2nd unit director "Made in America"; "Kennedy and Heidi")
- Easy Money
- The Americans
- Black Sails
- Marco Polo
- Flesh and Bone
- "Alik Sakharov". Internet Encyclopedia of Cinematographers.
- alik sakharov (April 19, 2011). "PAUSA (1992) trailer". Vimeo.
- "IMDB, Marco Polo "Feast"".
- "IMDB, Marco Polo "The Fourth Step"".
- "IMDB, Marco Polo "Lost Crane"".
- "IMDB, Marco Polo "The Fellowship"".
- "Marco Polo: One Hundred Eyes".
- "AFI Awards 2002". American Film Institute. Archived from the original on 2004-02-11. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- "AFI Awards 2004". American Film Institute. Archived from the original on 2005-06-03. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- "AFI Awards 2011". AFI.com. American Film Institute.
- "Past ASC Awards". The American Society of Cinematographers.
- Mesger, Robin (September 8, 2007). "59th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards" (PDF). Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
- "2012-13 Online Film & Television Association".