|Full name||Alina Alexandra Dumitru|
30 August 1982 |
|Height||1.58 m (5 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||48 kg (106 lb; 7.6 st)|
|Club||CSA Steaua Bucureşti|
|Coached by||Florin Bercean|
Alina Dumitru (Romanian pronunciation: [aˈlina duˈmitru]; born August 30, 1982 in Bucharest) is a Romanian judoka, one-time Olympic champion and eight-time European champion. At the 2008 Summer Olympics she defeated Japanese double gold medallist Ryoko Tani, who until then had been undefeated in major international competitions for 12 years.
2008 Summer Olympics
Dumitru defeated the legendary five-time Olympian Ryoko Tani by "keikoku" in a shocking –48 kg semifinal upset at the Beijing Science and Technology University Gymnasium. She controlled the five-minute showdown, maintaining her position with strong defense, refusing to budge or give her experienced foe a chance to mount a strong attack. It worked, as Tani lost points for passivity. Then she flipped Cuba's Yanet Bermoy becoming the first Romanian judoka to win a gold medal in the Summer Olympic Games.
2012 Summer Olympics
- "Upsets of Olympic Proportions". Wall Street Journal. 15 August 2008. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Tani falls short in quest for gold". Japan Times. 8 August 2008. Retrieved 8 August 2008.
- "Olympics: Hiraoka gets silver, Fukumi left out of medals". Kyodo News. 28 July 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Decorarea delegaţiei olimpice de la Beijing" (in Romanian). presidency.ro. 27 August 2008. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Alina Dumitru a devenit cetăţean de onoare al oraşului Ploieşti" (in Romanian). gsp.ro. 30 September 2008. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Alina Dumitru". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC.
- Profile at JudoInside.com
- Videos of Alina Alexandra Dumitru (judovision.org)
|This biographical article related to Romanian judo is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Romanian Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|