|Current owner(s)||Kaden Achatz
|Head chef||Grant Achatz|
|Food type||Molecular gastronomy|
|Rating||(Michelin Guide). Voted 6th best restaurant in the world by Restaurant Magazine 2011|
|Street address||1723 North Halsted St.|
Alinea is a restaurant in Chicago. Its head chef and owner, Grant Achatz, is known for his preparations and deconstructions of classic flavors. In 2010, Alinea became one of only two restaurants in Chicago to receive the highest rating of three stars from the Michelin Guide and was subsequently reviewed by restaurant critic Sam Sifton in the New York Times. The restaurant opened on May 4, 2005 and takes its name from the symbol alinea, which is featured as a logo.
Awards and honors
Alinea is one of the most decorated restaurants in the world. It currently holds the highest rating of three stars from the Michelin Guide. It has received the AAA Five Diamond Award, the highest level of recognition given by the AAA, in consecutive years from 2007 to 2014. It also ranked No. 9 on the S. Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants List, second only to Eleven Madison Park in the U.S. As of 2014, Alinea is one of two Michelin 3-star restaurants in Chicago.
In October 2008, Grant Achatz and co-author Nick Kokonas published Alinea (ISBN 1-58008-928-3 ISBN 978-1-58008-928-9), a hardcover coffee-table book featuring more than 100 of the restaurant's recipes. The book's narrative follows life in the kitchen for Achatz and his crew, and includes more than 400 behind-the-scenes photographs by Lara Kastner.
Purchase of Moto
In January 2016 Katie McGowan, owner of the Moto Restaurant in Chicago, announced the sale of what had been her late husband's restaurant to the Alinea Group. Moto is a leader in the culinary niche known as molecular gastronomy founded by innovative chef Homaro Cantu.
- Davey, Monica (November 16, 2010). "A Hurried Announcement for a New Michelin City". The New York Times. Retrieved December 12, 2010.
- Sifton, Sam (November 17, 2010). "At Alinea, Three Stars Come With a Mischievous Taste of Autumn". The New York Times. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- PR Newswire Michelin Releases Fourth Edition Of Its Famed Guide To Chicago's Great Restaurants, November 12, 2013
- "Moto Restaurant Sold to Alinea Group After Chef Homaro Cantu's Death". 5NBC Chicago. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alinea food.|
- Official website
- youtube.com 24 Hours at Alinea
- Spinning Plates, 2012 documentary features three unique restaurants and their respective owners including those of Alinea
|This US-based restaurant or restaurant chain article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a building or structure in Chicago is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|