BelAir, a luxury Condo in Alipore
|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The area is the most posh and costliest locality in Kolkata, along with the Ballygunge with homes costing in excess of ₹12.7 crore (US$1.9 million). It is flanked by the Tolly Nullah to the north, Bhowanipore to the east, the Diamond Harbour Road to the west and New Alipore to the south, bordered by the Budge Budge section of the Sealdah South section railway line. The postal code of Alipore is Kolkata 700027.
History and development
One of the most historical, eventful and elite localities of the city of Kolkata, Alipore is nearly as old as the city itself.
It was in the middle parts of the 18th century that the British began exploring the areas outside their settlements of Fort William and the Dalhousie Square area beyond the Race Course. The Belvedere Estate was one of the oldest establishments in Alipore.
The then Governor General Warren Hastings built it for himself and it became the Governor's residence until the Government House came up later. It was about this period of time that Alipore started attracting more and more British settlers who built their huge mansions and bungalows with gardens and Alipore came to be more popular.
In 1820, William Carey built the Agri Horticultural Gardens behind the Belvedere Estate and added to the charm of the locality. Also, the Alipore Zoological Gardens was thrown open to the public in 1875.
Post independence of India, Alipore became popular among the business elite of the city and a large number of them set up home. The Pauls, the Birlas, the Goenkas, the Dalmiyas, the Jalans, the Kotharis, the Poddars - all added weight to the place.
In 1952, the Imperial Library (now renamed the National Library) shifted to its present premises on Belvedere Estate. The Alipore Mint was also inaugurated the same year.
The locality of Alipore is a pristine mix of stately bungalows and villas with sprawling lawns and gardens, mostly belonging to the industrialists and business elites of the city, together with swank apartments and high rise condominiums, aptly complimented with clean tree lined avenues and roads, lush greenery and low pollution count. Several consulates like those of Russia, Germany, France, Italy and residences of Hon. Consul General of Canada, Denmark, Greece, Peru, etc. are located in Alipore. By the late eighties and nineties other places like New Alipore and Ballygunge competed with Alipore as the most elite areas of Kolkata.
Alipore is located at  It has an average elevation of 14 metres (46 feet). Alipore area is bordered by the following roads - AJC Bose Road to the north, D L Khan Road to the East, Diamond Harbour Road to the West and Alipore Avenue to the South..
Alipore area comprises the following roads & sub localities - Alipore Road, Belvedere Road, Baker Road, Judges Court Road, Burdwan Road, New Road, National Library Avenue, Penn Road, Alipore Park Road, Ashoka Road, Raja Santosh Road and Ronaldshay Road.
Alipore is connected to all parts of the city by extensive bus services.
Some of the best healthcare options in the city are located in Alipore
- Woodlands Multispeciality Hospital, Alipore Road
- CMRI, Diamond Harbour Road
- B.M. Birla Heart Research Centre, National Library Avenue
- Kothari Medical Centre, 8/3, Alipore Road
- Command Hospital, Alipore Road
- IMI, Kolkata, Judges Court Road
- Army Institute of Management, Kolkata (formerly known as National Institute of Management, Calcutta), Judges Court Road
- University of Calcutta, Alipore Campus
- Women's Law College, Judges Court Road
- Viharilal College of Home Science, Judges Court Road
- Hastings house (B.Ed. college)
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Command Hospital
- Alipore Tiny Tots (Children's School)
- Lakshmipat Singhania Academy (High School).
- Calcutta Women's PTTI
Places of interest
- National Library of India, Belvedere Road
- Alipore Zoological Gardens, Belvedere Road
- Taj Bengal Hotel, Belvedere Road
- National Test House, Judges Court Road
- Alipore Meteorological Office, Judges Court Road
- Presidency Jail, Alipore
- Bhavani Bhavan, CID Headquarters, Belvedere Road
- Agri Horticultural Gardens, Alipore Road
- Royal Meat, Judges Court Road
- The Enclave, Alipore Road
- Ocio Club, Belvedere Road
- Hollywood Bowl
- The Old Bungalow, 7/6 Burdwan Road
- City Shoppe, Diamond Harbour Road
- Sparkz Bowling alley, Diamond Harbour Road
- Bhawanipore cemetery
Fine dining, restaurants and eateries
Taj Bengal Hotel, Belvedere Road'
- The Hub
- The Chambers,
- The Junction,
- The Promenade Lounge,
- Grill by the Pool,
- La Patisserie and Deli
The Enclave, Alipore Road
- Red Kitchen & Lounge
- Kookie Jar & Mangio
- Coffee World
- The Cream & Fudge Factory
- The International Cafe
- Bombay Bites
- Upper Crust
- Blossoms Square
- Chocolarte, Judges Court Road
- Domino's Pizza, Judges Court Road
- Don Giovanni's Pizza, Diamond Harbour Road
- Garden Cafe, Alipore Road
- Drive Inn Snack Bar, Alipore Road
- Flury's Cafe, Alipore Road
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alipore.|
Kolkata/South travel guide from Wikivoyage