|Look up Alisa, alisa, or Алиса in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Alisa may refer to:
- Alisa is the Russian/Croatian form of english name Alice. It is also considered a less popular spelling of Alyssa and Alissa in the United States. In all cases, though, these names developed from Alice. Alice is an off-shoot from the Old French Aalis/Adelais which were ultimately derived from the Germanic Adalheidis (Adelaide), composed of the elements “adal” (noble) and “heid” (kind, type). Adaheidis is one of those ancient Germanic names which has given birth to scores of other female names since medieval times: Adele, Alice, Alison, Alicia, Alissa and even Heidi are among them. Alisa is currently a Top 10 favorite baby girl’s name in Russia, but it remains less favored in the United States (compared to Alyssa and Alissa). In fact, in America, both Alicia and Alyssa are really modern, 20th century versions of the older medieval Alice/Alison names.
- Popularity of the girl name Alisa
Alisa first appeared on the U.S. Top 1000 list in 1953 which, oddly enough, predates her more popular sisters Alyssa (1963) and Alissa (1966). In all cases, this name has very modern roots in America. Alyssa is by far and away the most preferred spelling of the name (in fact 90% of the parents out there opt for Alyssa and only 7% for Alissa). In fact, Alyssa is even more popular than both Alice and Alicia now, and she’s a Top 50 neck-and-neck favorite alongside Allison. The spelling of Alisa, however, is barely hanging on to the Top 1000 list (ranked #967 in 2012). So we can say that Alisa is very rare and unique name.
- Quick Facts on Alisa
NUMBER OF SYLLABLES: 3
RANKING POPULARITY: 967 (rare)
PRONUNCIATION: ah-LEE-sah; or ah-LIS-ah
SIMPLE MEANING: Noble one
- Alisa Selezneva, the heroine of Russian children's science fiction book series by Kir Bulychov
- Alisa Bosconovitch, a character from the Tekken series
- Alisa (Russian band), a Russian hard rock band
- Alisa (Serbian band), the Serbian and former Yugoslav rock band
- Alisa (moth), a synonym for moths of the genus Agriphila
- Alisa (soap opera), an Indonesian TV serial
- Alisa (virtual assistant), a virtual assistant developed by Yandex
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Alisa.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.