Alisport Silent Club
|A Silent Club towed by an Ultralight|
|Role||DU class sailplane|
The Silent Club is a single seater sailplane of Italian manufacture. It is of the FAI type DU Class glider. It is sold by Alisport ready-to-fly or kit-built as pure glider or self-launching glider. The self-launching version is fitted with a single-blade propeller belt-driven by a two-stroke engine or optionally by an electric motor.
The electric version was the first production electric-powered commercially available aircraft and appeared in 1997. It is driven by a 13 kW (17 hp) DC electric motor running on 40 kg (88 lb) of batteries that provide 1.4 kWh of power.
The highly modified version, the Alisport Silent Club-J is a self-launching aerobatic jet motor glider shown on the U.S. airshow circuit and all over the world by Bob Carlton,. It is powered by twin AMT-USA AT-450 jet engines (200 N (45 Lbf) of thrust each) originally developed for radio-controlled aircraft.
Design and development
- The fuselage is carbon and glass fiber composite with epoxy resin.
- The wingspan is 12 meters without winglets.
- The flaperons stretch for 10.0 meters of the full wingspan.
- Schempp-Hirth-type spoilers extend on the upper wing surface only.
- Fixed or retractable main wheel behind the pilot, with shock absorber and drum brake activated via spoiler control lever aft travel.
- The Silent Club has light ailerons, light elevator, along with a generous rudder. The roll rate is quick due to the lively feel of the ailerons.
- Stall is predictable and recovery is simple. In level flight as airspeed is reduced when approaching the stall speed the sailplane vibrates a little, at this point decreasing the angle of attack results in airspeed increase and normal flight resumes, from a climbing attitude the sailplane stalls decisively, the nose pitches down gently and recovery is easy with stick forward.
- Spin entry is obvious and recovered with rudder and stick.
- Crew: One pilot
- Length: 6.35 m (20 ft 10 in)
- Wingspan: 12.00 m (39 ft 4 in)
- Height: 1.25 m (4 ft 1 in)
- Wing area: 10.3 m2 (111 ft2)
- Aspect ratio: 14.0
- Empty weight: 125 kg (276 lb)
- Gross weight: 290 kg (639 lb)
- Maximum speed: 200 km/h (124 mph)
- Maximum glide ratio: 31 at 85 km/h (53 mph)
- Rate of sink: 0.70 m/s (138 ft/min)
- Related development
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alisport.|
- Silent Club Flight Manual
- Soaring March 2005