Alive Again (Matt Maher album)
|Studio album by Matt Maher|
|Released||September 22, 2009|
|Matt Maher chronology|
Alive Again is the fifth studio album by contemporary Christian musician Matt Maher, released on September 22, 2009. It is his second album with Essential Records. It reached #6 on the Billboard Christian albums chart, and reached #128 on the Billboard 200. The single "Alive Again" became the top selling Christian and Gospel single on iTunes Rewind. The song "Hold Us Together" was the No. 1 K-LOVE song of 2010.
|CD track order|
|1.||"Alive Again"||Maher, Jason Ingram||3:59|
|2.||"Shout of the King"||Maher, Sarah Reeves||4:06|
|3.||"Sing Over Your Children"||Maher, Ingram||4:17|
|4.||"Hold Us Together"||Maher, Steve Wilson||3:27|
|5.||"No Greater Love"||Maher, Audrey Assad, Chris Tomlin||3:02|
|6.||"Love Comes Down"||Maher, Assad, Michael Gungor, Paul Moak||4:43|
|7.||"Flesh and Bone"||Maher, Marc Byrd, Sarah Hart||6:05|
|8.||"Remembrance (Communion Song)"||Maher, Matt Redman||5:18|
|9.||"Letting Go"||Maher, Moak||5:27|
|10.||"You Were on the Cross"||Maher, Assad, Kenny Butler||5:15|
|11.||"Christ Is Risen"||Maher, Mia Fieldes||4:56|
|US Billboard 200||128|
|US Billboard Christian Albums||6|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions|
|2010||"Hold Us Together"||6|
|2011||"Christ Is Risen"||18|
|Christian Music Review
(Andrea Bailey Willits)
|Jesus Freak Hideout
|Jesus Freak Hideout
|Louder Than the Music
Christian Music Review's Laura Chambers alluded to the album as having "no actual weeds; it is the senses and condition of the listener that alone determine the resonance each song will have."
Christianity Today's Andrea Bailey Willits noted that "discriminating ears long for intelligent worship songs cut from slightly darker cloth, and Matt Maher heeds that cry with an unselfconscious sophomore effort."
Jesus Freak Hideout's Roger Gelwicks said he "can't honestly say that Alive Again is that unique of a worship experience." However, he said "anyone looking for solid, unique worship would be wise to look there, but if you were a fan of Matt Maher's first outing, his follow-up will suit you just fine."
Jesus Freak Hideout's Sara Kelm called the this "a decent offering from this worship leader." But she was highly critical, when she said "it could easily be transitioned from the album to a church worship setting, even stereotypically bringing down the volume for a chorus before ramping it up again. That's the major problem with this album, if one could call it that. This collection of songs is nothing special. Most of the songs, while having nice melodies, do not strike me as particularly different or challenging. The album has a common worship sound, with no real risks taken. Plus, the last half of the album seems weighed down with mellow songs, slowing the pace considerably." Furthermore, she noted "if you want a worship album that is something different and new in terms of style and sound, look around at some of the other worship albums released this year. But if you liked Maher's first album and just really like the basic 'worship album' feel, this would be a good album for you."
Louder Than the Music's Jono Davies said this album "is a very clean and powerful worship album and over time has grown on me as one of my favorite albums of the year." In addition, Davies noted that "overall a wonderful album, not scared to sing out the name of Jesus in the lyrics."
- "Music News, June 2009: ARTIST-WORSHIPPER MATT MAHER RELEASES SOPHOMORE ALIVE AGAIN SEPT. 22". Jesusfreakhideout.com. June 15, 2009. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- "Music Charts, Most Popular Music, Music by Genre & Top Music Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- "Top Christian Songs - Positive Encouraging K-LOVE". Klove.com. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- Billboard (2012-01-13). "Matt Maher Album & Song Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Billboard (2012-01-13). "Matt Maher Album & Song Chart History: Christian Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Billboard (2012-01-13). "Matt Maher Album & Song Chart History: Christian Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Johnson, Jared. "Review: Alive Again". Allmusic. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Chambers, Laura (2009-09-11). "Review: Alive Again". Christian Music Review. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Willits, Andre Bailey (2009-09-01). "Review: Alive Again". Christianity Today. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Grimsditch, Carl (2009-12-22). "Review: Alive Again". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Gelwicks, Roger (2009-09-20). "Review: Alive Again". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Kelm, Sara (2011-09-20). "Review: Alive Again". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Davies, Jono (2009-10-26). "Review: Alive Again". Louder Then the Music. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- 41st Annual GMA Dove Awards nominees announced on The Tennessean (February 18, 2010)