Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory
|Directed by||Michael Rossato-Bennett|
|Produced by||Michael Rossato-Bennett
|Written by||Michael Rossato-Bennett|
|Music by||Itaal Shur|
|Edited by||Mark Demolar
|Distributed by||Projector Media
City Drive Films
Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory is a 2014 American documentary film directed and produced by Michael Rossato-Bennett. The film premiered in competition category of U.S. Documentary Competition program at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2014. It won the Audience Award: U.S. Documentary at the festival. The film deals with the subject of people suffering from Alzheimer's disease and how music therapy can help and ease their suffering. In many chapters of the film Dan Cohen of Music and Memory places music headphones on patients and we see them become very expressive; his pioneering efforts have placed personal music players in nursing homes.
After its premiere at Sundance Film Festival, BOND/360 did a service publicity deal for the theatrical distribution of the film. The film was released on July 18, 2014 in the United States. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc.
The film received positive response from critics. Rob Nelson in his review for Variety said that "Michael Rossato-Bennett captures some amazingly transformative results in the treatment of dementia through music." Duane Byrge of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film positive review and said that "A gloriously inspirational film documenting music’s healing power in Alzheimer patients." Steve Greene from Indiewire in his review said that ""Alive Inside" provide a sense of idealism amid bleak situations. When discussing the impact of music on an environment so often typified by isolation, one of the patients describes his desire for freedom."
- Alive Inside BoxOfficeMojo
- "How I Shot That: Alzheimer's Patients in Sundance Documentary 'Alive Inside: A Story of Music & Memory'". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Sundance Day Two: "Locke", "Alive Inside", "Memphis", "The Double"". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: U.S. Documentary Competition". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Sundance: ‘Whiplash’ & ‘Rich Hill’ Win Grand Jury Awards; Dramatic Directing Goes To Cutter Hodierne For ‘Fishing Without Nets’". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "'Whiplash' Owns the 2014 Sundance Film Festival Awards Netting Two Top Prizes". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: Alive Inside: A Story of Music & Memory - Documentary shows how music helps elderly remember". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Music and Memory". Music and Memory. Retrieved 2016-12-13.
- "Alive Inside: A Story of Music & Memory". Kickstarter. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Sundance Audience Award-winner 'Alive Inside' Acquired by BOND/360". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "RADiUS-TWC boards Creep". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Sundance Film Review: ‘Alive Inside’". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Alive Inside: A Story of Music & Memory: Sundance Review". Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Sundance Review: 'Alive Inside' Presents a Scattered But Moving Look at the Therapeutic Power of Music". Retrieved 8 April 2014.