Aljunied MRT station
Aerial view of Aljunied MRT station
|Location||81 Lorong 25 Geylang|
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation)|
|Opened||4 November 1989|
Aljunied MRT station (EW9) is an above-ground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station on the East West line in Geylang, Singapore. Named after Aljunied Road, this station primarily serves Aljunied, one of the subzones that make up Geylang planning area. Aljunied station is the nearest MRT station to Geylang East Town Centre. Despite its name, the station is not located in Aljunied GRC but in Macpherson SMC.
On 26 June 2009, train services along the East West line were disrupted for almost 18 minutes at about 7.25 pm after a man jumped off the platform and ran towards Paya Lebar. However, SMRT staff did not manage to find the man. The Chinese man in his 40s found his way down the tracks to the street but was later arrested by the police. He sustained leg injuries and was charged with attempted suicide.
In view of one incident over the years, half height platform screen doors were operational on 11 February 2011, and this station was installed with high-volume low-speed fans, which began operating on 27 July 2012. This station was upgraded with TITAN faregates in 30 November 2013.
- "Man jumps onto MRT track; train service disrupted for 18 minutes". Channel NewsAsia. 2009-06-26.
- Wong, Siew Ying (January 26, 2008). "Above-ground MRT stations to have platform screen doors by 2012". Channel NewsAsia. Archived from the original on July 30, 2012. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Enhancing Connectivity and Comfort for Commuters". Land Transport Authority. 13 October 2011. Archived from the original on 25 December 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Sunday closures, shorter weekend service hours on another part of East-West line in January".
- "Early closures, late starts at 10 stations of East West line next month".
- hermesauto (15 December 2017). "Shorter weekend hours on some East-West line stations next month for engineering work".