All About You/You've Got a Friend
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"All About You/You've Got a Friend"|
|Single by McFly|
|from the album Wonderland|
|B-side||"Room on the 3rd Floor"|
|Released||7 March 2005|
|Genre||• Baroque pop, pop rock ("All About You")|
• Folk pop ("You've Got a Friend")
|Length||3:07 ("All About You")|
4:38 ("You've Got a Friend")
|McFly singles chronology|
"All About You/You've Got a Friend" is a double A-side song recorded by English pop rock band McFly. The band's first double A-side single, it was released on 7 March 2005 as the lead single from their second studio album, Wonderland (2005). The single was the official Comic Relief charity single for 2005, with all royalties being donated to the charity. The single was also used to promote Make Poverty History.
The single peaked at number one on the UK Singles Chart, as well as peaking at number one in Ireland. Having sold over 536,000 copies in the UK, "All About You" is McFly's best-selling single and received a Platinum sales status certification, their only single to do so. "All About You" was also nominated for the Record of the Year in 2005.
The song was written by Tom Fletcher for his then-girlfriend, and now wife, Giovanna Fletcher, as a gift for Valentine's Day as a result of him forgetting the actual day. It is the lead A-side single, and the first of McFly's singles to feature an orchestra, conducted by Simon Hale and the string leader, Gavin Wright. The second track on the double A-side was "You've Got a Friend", written and originally recorded by Carole King.
"All About You" debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart, giving McFly their third UK number-one single, as well as their fifth top 5 hit in less than a year. It debuted at number one, only to be knocked off the top spot the following week by the unofficial Comic Relief single "Is This the Way to Amarillo", by Tony Christie and (mimed by) Peter Kay.
The video for "All About You" was filmed on 14 January 2005, the same day good friends Busted announced their break-up. In the video, Harry Judd tries to get into the studio where the rest of McFly are in progress recording the song, but a security guard outside refuses to let him in, until Harry sneaks in by distracting the guard with Smash Hits magazines all with Busted on the front cover (of whom a badge announced him to be a fan). The song is stopped halfway when a cleaner unplugs the equipment to plug in a vacuum, Harry then arrives, the songs starts again and the recording is finished. The comedic video features a number of British celebrities including Fearne Cotton, Johnny Vegas, Davina McCall, Ben Miles, Lee Hurst, Graham Norton, Dermot O'Leary, Simon Amstell, Ruby Wax as the cleaner, Kate Thornton, Harry Hill as the security guard, and violinist Johanna McWeeney-Oxer.
"You've Got a Friend" was shot on location in Uganda. The boys spent a week there in January 2005 for Comic Relief. The video sees McFly with the children of Uganda, playing with them, performing for them, and teaching them to sing. Towards the end of the video, McFly's vocals are removed for a chorus sung by the children.
UK CD single
- "All About You" - 3:05
- "You've Got a Friend" - 4:27
- "Room on the 3rd Floor" (Orchestral version) - 3:16
- "All About You" (Orchestral version) - 3:05
- "All About You" (Video) - 3:05
Charts and certifications
- Myers, Justin (5 November 2016). "Girlbands vs Boybands – their biggest songs of the century revealed". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- "Comic Relief song tops the chart". BBC News. BBC. 13 March 2005. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "Hits of the World – Eurocharts" (PDF). Billboard. Vol. 117 no. 13. 26 March 2005. p. 37. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "Tonlist Top 20". DV. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – All About You/You've Got a Friend". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- ":: 가온차트와 함께하세요 ::". Gaonchart.co.kr. Archived from the original on 6 March 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "2005 Year-End Charts" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved 8 June 2020.