All American (TV series)
|Created by||April Blair|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||2 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||43 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original network||The CW|
|Original release||October 10, 2018– present|
All American is an American television drama series, created by April Blair that premiered on The CW on October 10, 2018. The series is inspired by the life of professional football player Spencer Paysinger.
"When a rising high school football player from South L.A. is recruited to play for Beverly Hills High, the wins, losses and struggles of two families from vastly different worlds—Crenshaw and Beverly Hills—begin to collide. Inspired by the life of pro football player Spencer Paysinger."
Cast and characters
- Daniel Ezra as Spencer James, based on Spencer Paysinger, a star wide receiver at Crenshaw High School who transfers to Beverly Hills High to play football, and briefly converted to play as a safety/cornerback.
- Taye Diggs as Billy Baker, the assistant coach for Beverly Hills High football team who recruits Spencer. It is revealed that he is Spencer's father. Like Spencer, he was an alumnus of both Crenshaw High and Beverly Hills High.
- Samantha Logan as Olivia Baker, Billy's daughter who develops an interest in Spencer. She recently just got out of rehab.
- Bre-Z as Tiana "Coop" Cooper, Spencer's friend from Crenshaw High. She stays with the gang doing drug deliveries in order to keep Spencer in Beverly Hills.
- Greta Onieogou as Leila Faisal, a student at Beverly High who also shows an interest in Spencer. Her father is a very successful record producer, but her mother was killed in a car accident in Switzerland. She is dating Asher. Both Olivia and Asher got Leila into hospital for drug overdose, so she has never forgiven Olivia for abandoning her, even after Olivia left rehab, and is also distant towards Asher because of it.
- Monet Mazur as Laura Fine-Baker, Billy's lawyer wife, Olivia and Jordan's mother.
- Michael Evans Behling as Jordan Baker, Billy's son and quarterback for Beverly High who takes Spencer under his wing.
- Cody Christian as Asher, wide receiver of the Beverly High football team, who also got into drug rehab after 
- Karimah Westbrook as Grace James, Spencer's mother who secretly knew Billy a long time ago.
- Jalyn Hall as Dillon James, Spencer's younger brother. Like Spencer, he is also an A-grade student, and is much more mature for his young age. Likes sci-fi comics.
- Jay Reeves as Shawn Scott. Drug dealer and gang member, however, he sometimes use it as a disguise to deliver dinners for the the gang's families.
- Jordan Belfi as Principal Ed Landon
- as Harold, Asher's father
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Prod.|
|1||"Pilot"||Rob Hardy||April Blair||October 10, 2018||T15.10151||0.69|
|Spencer James, an ambitious football player from South Los Angeles, is offered a scholarship to Beverly Hills High School when the coach Billy Baker notices his ability. He is torn between his two worlds, as his mother and brother both want him to relocate while his friend Coop struggles with gangs and his cultural shift in lifestyles. He also struggles with his father's abandonment for a coaching job. On his first day, he plays exceptionally well much to the dismay of Asher while Spencer gets close with his girlfriend Leila who is extremely wealthy and takes a liking to him. However, Billy's daughter Olivia seems to be more interested in him. Soon Spencer learns of experts coming in to watch him play football but a party leads to him being drugged and embarrasses himself during the game. At the end of the episode, Spencer is forced to move into the Baker household while Billy shows up at Spencer's home to his mother and says that they need to tell him the truth.|
|2||"99 Problems"||David McWhirter||April Blair & Mike Herro & David Straus||October 17, 2018||T13.21352||0.61|
|In a flashback, Spencer is seen playing football for the first time but is hurt when his mother Grace informs him of his father leaving. In the present day, Spencer continues to live within the household but Billy's constant attention to Spencer causes a rift between his relationship with his son Jordan and Olivia with Asher becoming aggressive towards him because of his interest towards Leila. Spencer continues to travel down South but his friend Coop continues to hang out with gang member Shawn and forced to pledge loyalty by dropping off what is supposed to be drugs but actually a gift to an ex-member's grandmother and soon informs Spencer that he has to live his own life. His constant visits also worry Grace as she wants what's best for him. At scouting night, Asher's father soon disrupts the scene after his son is injured earlier on accidentally by Spencer and announces that Spencer has been staying in the Baker household. A confrontation between Shawn and Spencer and an injury leads to Beverly Hills losing the game. When the Baker family is reconciled, a final flashback shows a adolescent Spencer running off with the news of his father who is revealed to be Billy Baker as he watches the event take place from the other side of the field.|
|3||"i"||Rob Hardy||Nkechi O. Carroll||October 24, 2018||T13.21353||TBD|
|4||"Lose Yourself"||Elodie Keene||John A. Norris||November 7, 2018||TBA||TBD|
The tenth episode of the season was written by Natalie Abrams & Cam'ron Moore.
In September 2017, it was announced that The CW veteran Greg Berlanti had two pilots in development for the network, one of them inspired by the life of NFL football player Spencer Paysinger. It was also revealed that April Blair would write and executive produce the untitled project, with Berlanti and Sarah Schechter executive producing. A pilot for the potential series, then called Spencer, was ordered in January 2018. The pilot was ordered to series on May 11, 2018. On October 2, it was reported that Blair had stepped down as showrunner due to "personal reasons" and was subsequently replaced with co-executive producer Nkechi Okoro Carroll, who was also made an executive producer. On October 8, The CW ordered five additional scripts for the series.
On February 22, 2018, Taye Diggs was cast as Billy Baker, followed a week later with Samantha Logan cast as Olivia Baker, his daughter. The rest of the cast was filled out through mid-March with Bre-Z and Greta Onieogou cast on March 15 as characters, Tiana Cooper and Leila Faisal, respectively, with Monet Mazur, Michael Evans Behling, and Cody Christian cast the next day, to play Laura Fine-Baker, Olivia's mother; Jordan Baker, Olivia's brother; and Asher, respectively. Karimah Westbrook was cast as Grace James on March 19 and Daniel Ezra was cast in the lead role of Spencer James on March 21. On May 31, Jalyn Hall was promoted to a series regular as Dillion, Spencer's little brother.
|1||"Pilot"||October 10, 2018||0.2/1||0.69||0.1||0.37||0.3||1.06|
|2||"99 Problem"||October 17, 2018||0.2/1||0.61||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
All American is aired as a web-only series on TVNZ OnDemand. It releases the same episode as the US an hour later on Thursdays (NZT).
- Petski, Denise (11 May 2018). "The CW Picks Up 'Charmed' & 'Roswell' Reboots, 'TVD'/'Originals Offshoot, 'In The Dark' & Greg Berlanti Pilot To Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 23, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie; Petski, Denise (March 21, 2018). "Daniel Ezra Lands the Lead In Spencer Paysinger CW Pilot From Greg Berlanti". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (March 1, 2018). "Luke Arnold Joins 'For Love' ABC Pilot; Samantha Logan In April Blair/Spencer Paysinger CW Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (March 15, 2018). "Bre-Z & Greta Onieogou Join April Blair/Spencer Paysinger CW Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (March 16, 2018). "Monet Mazur & Michael Evans Behling Cast In April Blair/Spencer Paysinger CW Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (March 16, 2018). "Cody Christian Cast In CW's April Blair/Spencer Paysinger Pilot; Richard Esteras In 'Skinny Dip'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (March 19, 2018). "Karimah Westbrook Joins CW's April Blair/Spencer Paysinger Pilot; Justina Adorno Books ABC's 'Grand Hotel'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (May 31, 2018). "'All American': Jalyn Hall Upped To Series Regular On CW Drama Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (September 14, 2018). "'Yellowstone' Casts Neal McDonough; Jay Reeves Joins 'All American'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 5, 2018). "'Tell Me A Story': Danielle Campbell To Star In Kevin Williamson's CBS All Access Drama Series". Deadline Hollywood.
- Welch, Alex (October 11, 2018). "'Survivor,' 'Empire,' and 'Chicago Fire' adjust up: Wednesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 11, 2018.
- Welch, Alex (October 18, 2018). "'Chicago P.D.' and 'Single Parents' adjust down: Wednesday final ratings". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- "(#103) "i"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- "(#104) "Lose Yourself"". The Futon Critic. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- Abrams, Natalie [@NatalieAbrams] (October 8, 2018). "Some big news I can finally reveal: I co-wrote episode 110 of #AllAmerican with @CamtheNavigator! We start filming one week from today! Beyond lucky and really excited for my first ever episode of TV. Huge thx to @kech99 & @GBerlanti for their support and guidance! 🏈❤️" (Tweet). Retrieved October 8, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Otterson, Joe (September 22, 2017). "Greg Berlanti to Shepherd Time Travel Love Story, Football Drama Projects at CW". Variety. Retrieved May 23, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (January 30, 2018). "'Roswell' Reboot, Greg Berlanti Football Drama Among Six CW Pilot Orders". Variety. Retrieved May 23, 2018.
- Nemetz, Dave (October 2, 2018). "All American Shake-Up: Showrunner Exits CW Drama for 'Personal Reasons'". TVLine. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Swift, Andy (October 8, 2018). "The CW Orders Additional Scripts for All American, Charmed and Legacies". TVLine. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (February 22, 2018). "Taye Diggs to Star in Greg Berlanti-Produced CW Pilot (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 9, 2018). "Pilot Locations 2018: New York Business Booming, Chicago Gains As Atlanta Slips". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- Ingham, Alexandria (September 7, 2018). "When will All American premiere on The CW?". Hidden Remote. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (October 23, 2018). "Live+7 Ratings for Week of Oct. 8: 'Manifest' Doubles In Week 3". Variety. Retrieved October 23, 2018.
- "https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/all-american/episodes/s1-e1". www.tvnz.co.nz. Retrieved 2018-10-24. External link in