All Hands on Deck (film)
|All Hands on Deck|
Original British quad poster
|Directed by||Norman Taurog|
|Produced by||Oscar Brodney|
|Written by||Jay Sommers|
|Based on||Warm Bodies
by Donald R. Morris
|Music by||Cyril J. Mockridge|
|Edited by||Fredrick Y. Smith|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Box office||$1,500,000 (US)|
Lt Donald (Pat Boone) of the US Navy is assigned to look after a troublesome sailor, Garfield (Buddy Hackett), who is from an oil-rich Indian tribe. He also romances journalist Sally Hobson (Barbara Eden).
- Pat Boone as Lieutenant Donald
- Buddy Hackett as Garfield
- Dennis O'Keefe as Lieutenant Commander O'Gara
- Barbara Eden as Sally Hobson
- Warren Berlinger as Ensign Rush
- Gale Gordon as Admiral Bintle
- David Brandon as Lieutenant Kutley
The film was based on a 1957 novel, Warm Bodies by Donald R. Morris, based on his experiences in the Navy. The New York Times described it as "a delightful book, fresh, warmhearted and full of fun." The Los Angeles Times called it "the best funny novel about the navy since... Mr Roberts".
In 1958 screenwriter Jay Sommers optioned the rights to the novel and wrote a script, which he succeeded in selling to 20th Century Fox as a vehicle for Pat Boone. Part of the deal was that Sommers was kept on as writer; Oscar Brodney was assigned to produce.
Filming started 14 November 1960.
It was photographed in CinemaScope and DeLuxe Color.
The studio did not create a pressbook to market the film in the rush to release it. Instead, the studio's marketing of the film centered around interviews with the cast.
The film features four songs by Ray Evans and Jay Livingston:
- Solomon, Aubrey. Twentieth Century Fox: A Corporate and Financial History (The Scarecrow Filmmakers Series). Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8108-4244-1. p253
- The Navy Did It His Way By E.B. GARSIDE. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 27 Oct 1957: BR2.
- THE BOOK REPORT Kirsch, Robert R. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 10 Dec 1957: B5.
- Michael A. Hoey, Elvis' Favorite Director: The Amazing 52-Film Career of Norman Taurog, Bear Manor Media 2013
- Rumors Have Marlon Married to Movita By Dorothy Kilgallen. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973) [Washington, D.C] 12 Mar 1961: G3.
- Jody McCrea, Boone to Star in Navy Film Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 10 Nov 1960: c11.
- Harrison, Portman Up for 'Sherlock': Stevens Directs Gail Russell; Production in Spurt at 20th Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 15 Nov 1960: B7.
- Reid, John Howard. 20th Century-Fox: CinemaScope 2. [Morrisville, NC]: Lulu Press, 2009, pages 15-16, ISBN 9781411622487
- Kibbey, Richard D. Pat Boone: The Hollywood Years. Mustang, Oklahoma: Tate Publishing & Enterprises, 2011, page 190, ISBN 9781613461341
- All Hands on Deck at the Internet Movie Database
- All Hands on Deck at the TCM Movie Database
- All Hands on Deck at AllMovie
- All Hands on Deckd at the American Film Institute Catalog
- All Hands on Deck review at New York Times