All I Need (The Temptations song)
|"All I Need"|
|Single by The Temptations|
|from the album The Temptations with a Lot o' Soul|
|B-side||"Sorry is a Sorry Word"|
|Released||April 13, 1967|
|Recorded||Hitsville USA (Studio A)
Hitsville USA (Studio B/Golden World); 1967
R. Dean Taylor
|The Temptations singles chronology|
"All I Need" is a 1967 hit single recorded by The Temptations for the Gordy (Motown) label. It is the group's first single to be produced by Norman Whitfield's protégé Frank Wilson. Written by Wilson, Edward Holland, Jr. and R. Dean Taylor, the single was a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at number 8; it was also a number-two hit on the Billboard R&B singles chart.
David Ruffin, the Temptations main lead singer, serves as the songs narrator. In it he's begging his lover to forgive his unfaithfulness and mistreatment of her, telling her how guilty he feels about it and that he'll make it up to her. The recordings beat is very similar to the songs written and produced by Holland-Dozier-Holland, Motown's main songwriting team (of which Holland was a part of).
The single is the first not to be produced by the group's main producer Norman Whitfield since Get Ready, as Whitfield produced their releases starting with the following single. And due to Whitfield maintaining an iron grip on his creative control over The Temptations' released material, it would also be the last until the singles where they're teamed with Diana Ross and the Supremes in 1968.
Backed with the Ivy Jo Hunter production "Sorry is a Sorry Word" (co-written by Holland with Hunter), the single would be their second one from the group's 1967 album The Temptations with a Lot o' Soul. The Temptations performed the song live on the CBS variety show The Ed Sullivan Show on May 28, 1967, and the flip side was also performed, as part of a documentary, in 1967.
- Lead vocals by David Ruffin
- Background vocals by Eddie Kendricks, Melvin Franklin, Paul Williams, and Otis Williams
- Instrumentation by The Funk Brothers.
- Guitar: Cornelius Grant
- Williams, Otis and Romanowski, Patricia (1988, updated 2002). Temptations. Lanham, MD: Cooper Square. ISBN 0-8154-1218-5.
- The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 7: 1967 [CD liner notes]. New York: Hip-O Select/Motown/Universal Records
- "The Ed Sullivan Show Episode 918: May 28, 1967: The Temptations, Robert Goulet, Jane Morgan, Pickle Brothers". Archived from the original on 2009-07-20. Retrieved 2009-07-04.