All I Was
|All I Was|
|Studio album by|
|Released||July 17, 2012|
|Producer||Michael "Elvis" Baskette|
|Singles from All I Was|
All I Was is the debut studio album by Tremonti, a band formed by the lead guitarist for the American rock bands Creed and Alter Bridge, Mark Tremonti. Produced by Michael "Elvis" Baskette, the album shows prominent thrash metal influences. It showcases the debut of Tremonti as a lead vocalist and features guitarist, bassist, and backing vocalist Eric Friedman and drummer Garrett Whitlock, both former members of Submersed. The album was released to critical acclaim on July 17, 2012, by FRET12 Records.
Tremonti has expressed interest in releasing a solo album since 2010. He said of his two main projects in an interview with the Nottingham Post, "The bands are so different. And I write so much. I'm going to do a solo record because there are some songs that I'd hate to think wouldn't see the light of day because they don't work for Creed or Alter Bridge." He decided to do the album during "a three-month window when [Alter Bridge singer] Myles Kennedy was out with Slash and [Creed singer] Scott Stapp was doing some touring." He described the album as "melody-driven," and as "a heavier-sounding album," with elements of thrash and speed metal. In an interview with Artistdirect, he said that the album is "probably heavier than either Creed or Alter Bridge," and that it will have "lots of soloing." He again emphasized, however, that it will maintain a strong core melody.
Via Facebook, Alter Bridge announced on April 6, 2011, that the tracking for the album had begun, with an accompanying photo of the recording process. On January 20, 2012, Tremonti and FRET12 launched "The Tremonti Project," a website for his solo album where fans can sign up to receive news, previews, live streams, and giveaways. A list of working song titles, the musician lineup (consisting of Tremonti, rhythm guitarist and bassist Eric Friedman, and drummer Garrett Whitlock), and the album title were officially announced on the webpage. On March 20, the album artwork was revealed. According to Tremonti, the album will be released in July 2012 and will be distributed by EMI. He also said he hopes to release the first single from the album soon. In addition, Creed and Alter Bridge bassist Brian Marshall said on Twitter that he will be the bassist for Tremonti's solo project, and he was later confirmed to be a member of Tremonti's touring band for the first leg of the tour. In late April 2012, Tremonti revealed previews for three songs from his album.
According to Billboard, All I Was was set for a July 10, 2012, release on FRET12 Records; "You Waste Your Time" was also announced to be the first single from the album. FMQB reported that "You Waste Your Time" will be released to active rock radio stations in May 2012, and the song was made available for listening on May 6, 2012, on Loudwire.com, a day before its release. The song later reached number 10 on the iTunes Rock Songs Chart. A live music video for the song was released on May 17, 2012. The album's final release date was announced as July 17, 2012, on Ultimate Guitar Archive.
All I Was has received critical acclaim. While declining to give a star rating, Allmusic's James Christopher Monger stated that the album "blend[s] the stadium-sized choruses of Tremonti's previous band with the ferocious attack of classic speed metal, resulting in a voluminous hybrid of brooding post-grunge and breakdown-laden hardcore." In his review of the album, Rick Florino of Artistdirect gave it a positive review and a rating of 5 stars out of 5, commenting, "All I Was stands out as perfect from top to bottom." Paige Camisasca of Revolver magazine wrote, "All I Was reveals the remarkable depth of talent behind one of hard rock's core guitarists."
All tracks written by Mark Tremonti.
|1.||"Leave It Alone"||4:39|
|2.||"So You're Afraid"||3:56|
|3.||"Wish You Well"||3:00|
|5.||"The Things I've Seen"||4:37|
|6.||"You Waste Your Time"||3:47|
|7.||"New Way Out"||4:19|
|10.||"All I Was"||3:39|
- Mark Tremonti – lead vocals, lead and rhythm guitar
- Eric Friedman – rhythm guitar, bass guitar, backing vocals
- Garrett Whitlock – drums
|Austrian Albums Chat||43|
|Dutch Albums Chart||64|
|U.S. Billboard 200||29|
|Billboard Top Rock Albums||7|
|Top Independent Albums||7|
|Billboard Top Hard Rock Albums||5|
- "Interview: Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti prepares for Rock City". Nottingham Post. October 15, 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-10-20. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- Rob Cavuoto (June 11, 2012). "Mark Tremonti Interview – All I Was". Guitar International. Archived from the original on June 15, 2012.
- Steven Rosen (November 5, 2010). "Mark Tremonti of Creed and Alter Bridge Interview". Ultimate Guitar Archive. Archived from the original on October 12, 2012.
- "Mark Tremonti Working On Speed/Thrash Metal Album". Ultimate Guitar Archive. May 18, 2011.
- Rick Florino (January 17, 2012). "Mark Tremonti Talks Solo Album, Playing Wembley Arena with Alter Bridge, Creed and More". Artistdirect.
- Alter Bridge (April 6, 2011). "Alter Bridge". Facebook.
- "CREED/ALTER BRIDGE Guitarist MARK TREMONTI Talks Solo Album In New Video Interview". Blabbermouth. January 24, 2012.
- "The Tremonti Project". FRET12.
- Anne Erickson (March 20, 2012). "Alter Bridge and Creed's Mark Tremonti Reveals Artwork for Solo Album". Audio Ink Radio.
- "4.4.12 – Mark Tremonti". Free Johnny Dare. April 4, 2012.
- Anne Erickson. "Mark Tremonti Dishes on Creed, Alter Bridge, Solo Album + More". Loudwire.com.
- Brian Marshall (March 10, 2012). "Twitter / @brianamarshall".
- "ALTER BRIDGE Guitarist MARK TREMONTI Unveils Solo Band (Video)". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. April 10, 2012. Archived from the original on April 14, 2012.
- Mary Ouellette (April 21, 2012). "Mark Tremonti Shares Audio Samples of Solo Disc 'All I Was'". Loudwire.com.
- David Greenwald (April 26, 2012). "Creed's Mark Tremonti Releasing Solo Debut". Billboard.
- "Quick Hits: Maroon 5, Mark Tremonti, Norah Jones, TLC, Demi Lovato, The Killers, Passion Pit, Van Halen". FMQB. April 26, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-05-03. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Mary Ouellette (May 6, 2012). "Tremonti, 'You Waste Your Time' – Song Review". loudwire.com.
- Chad Childers (May 8, 2012). "Mark Tremonti Cracks iTunes Top 10 With Single 'You Waste Your Time'". Loudwire.com.
- Carlos Ramirez (May 17, 2012). "Tremonti, 'You Waste Your Time': Creed, Alter Bridge Guitarist Makes Solo Debut (VIDEO PREMIERE)". Noisecreep.
- "Mark Tremonti To Unleash 'All I Was' On July 17". Ultimate Guitar Archive. June 20, 2012.
- Whitaker, Sterling (2012-09-12). "Wolfgang Van Halen Joins Mark Tremonti as Touring Bassist". Ultimate Classic Rock.
- Graff, Gary (2013-03-06). "Wolfgang Van Halen Joins Tremonti, Says Van Halen Working on New Music". Billboard.
- Chad Chillers (April 11, 2013). "MARK TREMONTI TEASES UNRELEASED SINGLE, BEGINS PRE-PRODUCTION WITH ALTER BRIDGE". Loudwire.com.
- "Tremonti New Single: GONE". Tremonti Official Channel on YouTube. September 8, 2014.
- Chad Bowar (July 17, 2012). "Tremonti - All I Was Review". About.com.
- Rick Florino (July 9, 2012). "Tremonti "All I Was" Review — 5 out of 5 stars". Aristdirect.
- Paige Camisasca (July 9, 2012). "Review: Tremonti - All I Was". Revolver.
- "All I was Review | Tremonti". Ultimate-Guitar.Com. June 20, 2012. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- "Tremonti - All I Was" (in German). austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Tremonti - All I Was" (in Dutch). dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Music Charts, Most Popular Music, Music by Genre & Top Music Charts". billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-07-27.
- "Top Rock Music, Rock Music Albums & Rock Music Artists Charts". billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-07-27.
- "Independent Albums". billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-07-27.
- "Hard Rock Albums". billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-07-27.