All India Bakchod
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs to be updated.(July 2017)
|All India bakchod Ltd.|
|Occupation||Comedy Sketch Group|
|Also known as||AIB|
|Years active||2012 - present|
3.2 million subscribers|
(12th July 2018)
(12th July 2018)
|Associated acts||Tanmay Bhat, Gursimran Khamba, Rohan Joshi, Ashish Shakya|
All India Bakchod (AIB) is an Indian comedy sketch group. It was founded by Gursimran Khamba and Tanmay Bhat and was later joined by Rohan Joshi and Ashish Shakya. The group maintains a YouTube channel that shows their comedy sketches and parodies on topics such as politics, society, and the Hindi film industry. Initially, the group produced podcasts, also on YouTube. From 2013, they started using it as a medium to share their comic work. Joshi said that the reason for their use of YouTube was that they simply did not have funds for advertisements and other promotional materials, and instead relied upon social media to promote their work.
In 2014, AIB teamed up with Alia Bhatt to make a 10-minute spoof called ‘Genius of the Year’.This had Alia Bhatt acting in it – reacting and sharing how she felt about the ‘aftermath’ of her ‘Koffee With Karan’ debacle. Directed by Shakun Batra, the video also had spoofs of her movie songs.
As of May 2018, the group had amassed over 379 million views on their videos and had 3.1 million subscribers on YouTube. In December 2014, AIB organized a roast show, All India Bakchod Knockout Championship featuring Karan Johar as the host with Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor as subjects of the roast. The event is claimed to have raised over 40 lakh rupees for charity organisations such as Being Human and Vogue Empower (which works for women empowerment). They also perform regular stand-up acts across the globe.
AIB also has an advertisement wing called Vigyapanti, which was started in early October 2015. It was kicked off by the release of an online video titled Creep Qawwali, which was an advertisement for the start-up dating portal, Truly Madly.
AIB started a news comedy series called On Air With AIB on the Star Network in October 2015. The 20-episode show (10 in English and 10 Hindi equivalents) was released on Hotstar first, followed by weekend airing on STAR World India and Star Plus. They later returned with a second season on Hotstar.
AIB also conducts screenwriting workshops under the banner AIB First Draft.
On Air with AIB
On Air with AIB is a typical news comedy show that aims to find comedy in tragedy. Hosted by Rohan Joshi, Tanmay Bhat, Ashish Shakya and Gursimran Khamba, the show featured interviews, sketches and an examination of systemic issues that the country faces. The show has been co-hosted and written by Zakir Khan.
Season 2 of On Air with AIB is released only on Hotstar.
|Episode||English Title||Hindi Title||Airing date|
|1||Why Be Good?||Zaban Sambhal Ke||29 October 2015|
|2||Aag - The Fire||Aag - The Fire||5 November 2015|
|3||Cop Blocked||Dar ke Aage Police Hai||12 November 2015|
|4||Space - The Final Frontier||Thoda Adjust Karo||19 November 2015|
|5||HIV/AIDS - Red Ribbon||HIV/AIDS - Nazar Hatao Jan Gavaon||26 November 2015|
|6||Monumental Screw Up||Purana Quila Nayi Vaat||3 December 2015|
|7||Delhi Smelly||Kaat Kaleja Delhi||10 December 2015|
|8||Ignorth East||Gharwale Baharwale||17 December 2015|
|9||Get High on Your Own Supply||Aakhri Nasha dil pe chadha||24 December 2015|
|10||Sex and the CSE||Phool aur Kante||31 December 2015|
Season 2 started on 6 March 2017.
|1||Nationalism Vs Anti-Nationalism||6 March 2017|
|2||Political Acronyms Are Dumb||8 March 2017|
|3||Back to School with Kanan and Biswa||10 March 2017|
|4||Purani Jeans Purani Soch||13 March 2017|
|5||Pseudoscience||15 March 2017|
|6||Trip Talk With Rahul||17 March 2017|
|7||Broad Bandh||20 March 2017|
|8||Fake News||27 March 2017|
|9||Kangarude||29 March 2017|
|10||2 Fast 2 Dumb with Kenny Sebastian||31 March 2017|
|11||Domestic Disturbance||3 April 2017|
|12||Straight Otta Noida||5 April 2017|
|13||One Tip, One Hand with Varun and Neville||7 April 2017|
|14||Science, Bitch!||10 April 2017|
|15||Aadhar Ya Na-Dhar||11 April 2017|
|12 April 2017|
In 2013, AIB uploaded a satirical video called Rape: It's Your Fault, starring Kalki Koechlin and Juhi Pande. The video went viral with over 6 million views, and started conversations about the way that rape victims in India are treated in the media and by law enforcement.
AIB has been highly critical of Facebook's Free Basics program, on the grounds that it violates net neutrality. In 2015 the group made three videos, all of which went viral, published on YouTube, urging people to write to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) to keep India's internet neutral towards contents and content providers and providing a substantial boost to the pro-net neutrality SaveTheInternet.in campaign. Later TRAI supported net neutrality and ruled against differential data pricing based on content which resulted in ending zero-rating platforms in India including Free Basics and Airtel Zero.
In 2016, they uploaded a satirical video called The Demonetisation Circus based on the Modi government's decision to demonetise banknotes of Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000. The video exposed the facilities faced by the common public and the attitude of citizens towards their brethren in a satirical manner. 
Akhilesh Tiwari, president of Balaji telefilms in Mumbai, filed a written complaint at Sogogot fire station on February 2015 for alleged use of good abusive language in the AIB punchout. The Mumbai police initiated a film into this complaint against the participants, ranging from Director Karan Johar to actors Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh. An edited photo of the event was uploaded on facebook on 28 January 2015, covering the event that was held on December 28. The government of Maharashtra ordered an inquiry against event organizers and participants.
Bollywood actor Aamir Khan criticized the group's roast event. He said ‘I completely believe in freedom of speech but as creative persons we have to understand that we all have a certain responsibility towards society.’ In response Anurag Kashyap posted a link on his Facebook page showing Khan defending the DK Bose song from the movie Delhi Belly, a film that Khan produced. Khan had said, "I have already informed my audiences that it is an adult film. Please do not go with your kids and those who have a problem with this kind of language shouldn't come either. I try my best to inform the audiences before-hand. Then they can decide themselves. If the audience is adult, they can decide themselves. So from my end I do all these things for my fans." AIB had provided a statutory warning at the beginning of the video describing the 18+ offensive nature of the content of the video. To ensure that people get the message, they made their ‘roast master’ Karan Johar repeat the warning.
The Royal Turds
The Royal Turds is a comedic awards ceremony that recognizes the worst of the Hindi film industry. It is presented by All India Bakchod, in collaboration with other stand-up comedians such as Abish Mathew. The event is organized and promoted by OML and NH7, respectively. The ceremony is conducted in a stand-up comedy format, and its variations are recreated by the group in several shows at the same or different locations, sometimes even in other Indian cities. The statuette is a kind of golden mug, depicting the article that is generally used by people of the region to clean up after defecation. Selected clips of the event are published on YouTube, although no clip has been published since the Royal Turds 2013.
- Chakraborty, Shruti (16 September 2014). "Can YouTube sensation All India Bakchod laugh its way to the bank?". QZ. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Nathan, Archana (18 October 2014). "Jokes apart..." The Hindu. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- Sengupta, Devina (25 July 2014). "New startups in comedy business step up hiring as humour delights". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh in All India Bakchod Knockout". Deccan Chronicle. 12 November 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- Murthy, Sushmita (16 December 2014). "All India Bakchod boys to roast Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh". The Asian Age. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- Gera, Sonal (22 December 2014). "Ranveer Singh's PDA with rumoured girlfriend Deepika Padukone and kiss with Karan Johar". The Indian Express. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "The joke's not just on You(Tube) - Mumbai Mirror -". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "Why agencies should worry about AIB's new ad wing 'Vigyapanti' | ET BrandEquity". ETBrandEquity.com. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "All India Bakchod TV Show AIB Start Date Time Broadcasting TV Channels". www.dekhnews.com. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- On Air with AIB, 2015-10-29, retrieved 2016-02-25
- A Sharpening of the Comedic Senses, The Hindu, 2016-03-26
- Lakshmi, Rama (2013-09-23). "'Ladies, it's your fault': Viral video calls out India's culture of victim-blaming". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- Soni, Aayush (2016-02-08). "India deals blow to Facebook in people-powered 'net neutrality' row". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- Punit, Itika Sharma. "The lawyers, techies, and comedians who fought Facebook to keep India's internet free and open". Quartz. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "TRAI supports Net Neutrality, effectively bans Free Basics: All that happened in this debate". The Indian Express. 2015-12-29. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "AIB roast: Police complaint lodged against Bollywood stars for filthy language". Times of India. Mumbai. PTI. 2 February 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "Maharashtra government orders inquiry into "offensive" comedy show". ABP Live. Mumbai. PTI. 2 February 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "Aamir Khan lashes out at AIB roast". ABP News. 10 February 2015.
- "After Aamir Khans aib roast putdown anurag kashyap reminds us of delhi belly". ABP News. 11 February 2015.