All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dean||Umesh Kumar Bhadani|
|Director||Prabhat Kumar Singh|
|Undergraduates||125 per year (MBBS) and 75 per year (Bsc Nursing)|
|Postgraduates||73 as of Jan 2021 session|
All India Institute of Medical Sciences Patna (AIIMS Patna), previously Jaya Prakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Sciences (JPNAIIMS), is a medical college and medical research public institute located in Phulwari Sharif, Patna, Bihar, India. It is one of the Institutes of National Importance in India. It started operating on 25 September 2012 after a series of observations by Patna High Court. The institute operates autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Its foundation was laid by Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, on 3 January 2004, during his tenure as vice-president. As of 2018[update], it became fully functional.
In 2004, Central government decided to set up new AIIMS at Rishikesh, Bhopal, Patna, Jodhpur, Bhubaneswar and Raipur Though the foundation stone for the ₹ 350-crore project (2004 estimate) was laid in 2004 during Atal Bihari Vajpayee's tenure, the project was delayed owing to the power shift at the centre and its cost has escalated from ₹3.35 billion (US$47 million) to ₹8.5 billion (US$120 million). The AIIMS, Patna, is under construction for more than eight years.
The official state of AIIMS Patna was set through an Ordinance, which allowed six AIIMS—like institutes to become operational from September 2012. This was replaced by the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012 was passed in the Lok Sabha in August of that year and in the Rajya Sabha in September.
AIIMS-P doubled the intake of students into its MBBS course to 100 in 2013 from 50 in 2012. In May 2018, a blood bank and eight new departments were inaugurated. In August 2018, emergency and trauma centre, eight modular operation theatres and an additional 250 beds at the inpatient department (IPD) were inaugurated.
AIIMS Patna is located in Bhusaula village, 8 km from Patna Town (on NH- 139), near Walmi institute at Phulwari Sharif. It is spread over 134 acres, comprising the main medical college campus on 100 acres and residential campus on 34 acres.
AIIMS PATNA hospital comprises OPD block, IPD block, Trauma and Emergency block and a separate AYUSH and PMR building having state of art infrastructure.As of 2020[update], AIIMS PATNA has 950 beds, 28 functional modular operating theatres, 12 functional super speciality and 18 functional speciality.
AIIMS Patna started its operations on 25 September 2012. AIIMS New Delhi, has been mentoring the two new AIIMS in Patna and Bhubaneswar, PGI Chandigarh has been mentoring AIIMS coming up in Rishikesh and Jodhpur, while JIPMER Puducherry has been overseeing the AIIMS in Bhopal and Raipur.
Medical college comprises various pre-clinical, para-clinical and clinical department. Each department has their own seminar rooms and well equipped labs. There are four lecture theatres in the college building, all of them are equipped with centralised air conditioning, projectors and many other facilities. It also comprises e-class rooms for conduct of various seminars. Class of 2012 batch started in AIIMS Patna on 25 September 2012 with 50 medical students being admitted in AIIMS Patna. To start with, AIIMS Patna imparted training in four subjects to the 1st MBBS students– anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and community medicine.
17 super speciality areas including cardiology, cardiothoracic vascular surgery, neurology, neurosurgery, psychiatry, gastroenterology, nephrology (with dialysis), endocrinology and nuclear medicine have to be set up under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana in AIIMS Patna.
AIIMS is a residential University. AIIMS PATNA has hostels for all the undergraduates, postgraduates students and for senior residents.
Patna High Court's directives on AIIMS Patna
In April 2012, the Patna High Court constituted a three-member core committee comprising representatives from the centre, the state and the AIIMS to speed up construction work of the super-specialty hospital.
Shashi Bhushan, the financial advisor to AIIMS Patna had said: "The medical college is expected to start functioning from July this year for which appointment of professors is on"., but now the college will start in September 2012 and hospital by 2013. AIIMS Patna would be governed by the AIIMS Act till the Union government made a separate law for the upcoming hospital. The Patna high court on 18 July issued a directive that the doctors of trauma and emergency wards of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna (AIIMS Patna) join at Guru Gobind Singh Hospital, Patna City, by 25 July 2012.The court also directed the Union government to ensure that doctors of seven super speciality departments of AIIMS Patna are appointed and join their duty by 25 August. These departments include gastroenterology, cardiology, nephrology, pathology and radiology. Patna high court on 1 August 2012 ordered notional deputation of the Patna DM Sanjay Kumar Singh to the upcoming hospital as its deputy director/joint director/director of AIIMS Patna, till the central government sends a deputy director or joint director or director to take this responsibility. The DM will now on oversee the affairs related to the AIIMS Patna and its development as a super speciality hospital. Bihar government had released a cheque for ₹ 53.4 million to the Guru Gobind Singh Hospital at Patna City for development of infrastructure for the emergency ward and trauma centre of AIIMS Patna. The Patna High court directed the DM on 31 August 2012, to hold a meeting with the AIIMS Patna director and superintendent of Guru Gobind Singh Hospital(GGSH), Patna City, to set modalities of super speciality treatment at the hospital. This arrangement will continue till the AIIMS Patna is completed.Patna High Court ordered on 27 September 2012, to start round-the-clock construction of the AIIMS Patna hospital building by deploying more workers and other resources to ensure its early completion. Patna High Court on 29 January 2013 directed the Bihar government to constitute a team of auditors to audit the utilization of Rs 1.50 billion by M/s B L Kashyap and Company for the construction of the hospital building of AIIMS Patna.
- "Notification of president nomination" (PDF). PMSSY. 31 October 2018. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "HC forms panel for early completion of JPNAIIMS". The Times of India. 12 April 2012. Archived from the original on 4 February 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- Study, health cradles plod on slo-mo track- Bottlenecks in IIT, CUB & JPNAIIMS projects prevent relief to students and patients Archived 6 October 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Sukanya, Sumi (16 May 2012). "Six NRIs in first batch of faculty for health hub". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Bihar has much to thank 'Atal Bihari' for".
- Nagarajan, Rema (29 March 2015). "New AIIMS: Quantity, not quality?". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 January 2020.
- Raj, Anand (27 August 2012). "Bill on AIIMS-like institutes introduced in Lok Sabha". The Hindu. New Delhi, India.
- Raj, Anand (30 August 2012). "Lok Sabha nod to AIIMS bill". The Economic times. New Delhi, India.
- "Gov Bill passed in Par amid din". indianexpress.com. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- Anisha Anand, TNN (4 June 2013). "JPNAIIMS to double MBBS intake to 100". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 27 June 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "AIIMS opens blood bank".
- "Minister inaugurates eight new departments at AIIMS-Patna".
- "Union minister inaugurates AIIMS-Patna trauma centre".
- "AIIMS rolls out hi-tech facilities for patients".
- "MBBS classes begin at AIIMS Patna". Business Standard. Patna, India. 25 September 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 15 June 2014. Retrieved 14 June 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Annual Report (2019-2020 ed.). p. 2.
- "AIIMS-Patna still faces birth pangs on second foundation day". Times of India. 4 September 2014. Archived from the original on 3 February 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Six AIIMS-like institutes to start operation by mid-Sept". Daily pioneer. 4 September 2012. Archived from the original on 7 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "AIIMS docs land top job but have nowhere to go". The Times of India. 20 September 2011. Archived from the original on 17 April 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "First batch begins at AIIMS". Hindustan Times. 25 September 2012. Archived from the original on 29 October 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Raj, Anand (31 August 2012). "Free GGSH from encroachment: HC". The Times of India. New Delhi, India. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014.
- "Jai Prakash Naryan All India Institute of Medical Sciences starts its first MBBS batch". The Times of India. 26 September 2012. Archived from the original on 28 December 2013. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "This AIIMS has no emergency services, blood bank, mortuary or cardiac OPD". Archived from the original on 13 July 2017.
- City doctor to head Raipur AIIMS[permanent dead link]
- 'Join Guru Gobind hospital by July 25'
- Patna DM to head JPNAIIMS
- "Patna HC orders round-the-clock work on Jai Prakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Sciences". The Times of India. 27 September 2012. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014.
- "Audit expenses of Rs 150 crore on Jaya Prakash Narayan AIIMS, Patna: HC". The Times of India. 29 January 2013. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014.