All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Formation||8 August 1964|
|Mujtaba Farooque (General Secretary)|
All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat (AIMMM or MMM) is a federation of various Muslim organisations in India. Majlis-e-Mushawarat was formally launched at a two-day (August 8–9) meeting in 1964 at the Islamic seminary Darul Uloom Nadwatul Ulama, Lucknow. Several leading Muslim scholars and clerics, including Syed Abul Hasan Ali Nadvi, attended the meet while freedom fighter and a member in Jawaharlal Nehru's cabinet Dr. Syed Mahmud was elected its first president. It was established as an advocacy group in the wake of communal riots in the early 1960s.
AIMMM has a long history of serving the community in its struggle to get equitable justice, for Hindu Muslim unity, defending its religious and legal rights and in formation of All India Muslim Personal Law Board; “AMU Action Committee” for restoration of its minority character in 1967; in struggle for Babri Masjid by constituting “Babri Masjid Coordination Committee” and in reaching communal strife areas and extending help to the victims with its limited resources.
Origin and History
The All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat (AIMMM), an apex forum of Muslim organizations and institutions of national eminence along with some well-known personalities, was established at a representative meeting of the community leaders held on 8–9 August 1964 at Darul Uloom Nadwatul Ulama, Lucknow, inaugurated by Syed Abul Hasan Ali Nadvi and chaired by Dr. Syed Mahmood. Apart from them, Mufti Atiqur Rahman, Maulana Abul Lais Islahi, Qari Mohd. Tayyab, Maulana Kalb-e- Abid, Maulana Minatullah Rahmani, Mohammad Muslim, Maulana Jan Mohammad and Ebrahim Sulaiman Sait played the key role. It was formed under the shadow of large-scale communal riots in Bihar and Orissa, the delegation had then toured the affected areas to give solace to the victims and to promote peaceful co-existence among communities. The term Mushawarat, having an Arabic origin, means consultation. The purpose of AIMMM is to work towards providing a common platform for different Muslim organisations to collectively think, speak, deliberate and arrive at a common minimum programme.
AIMMM has four tier structure, Majalis-e-Mushawarat at the national (Central Body), the state, the district and the town level and all levels are organically linked with the central body. The main organs of the AIMMM at the national level are the Supreme Guidance Council, Markazi Majlis-e-Mushawarat, Markazi Majlis-e-Amla and the office-bearers.
Presidents of AIMMM
- Late Dr. Syed Mahmood
- Late Mufti Atiqur Rahman Usmani
- Late Sheikh Zulfiquarullah
- Maulana Mohammad Salim Qasmi (1995-2000)
- Late Syed Shahabuddin (2000-2007)
- Dr. Zafarul-Islam Khan (2008-2009)
- Late Syed Shahabuddin (2010-2011)
- Dr. Zafarul-Islam Khan (2014-2015)
- Navaid Hamid (incumbent since 2015)
- Association of Muslim Professionals
- All India Educational Movement
- Indian National League
- India Union Muslim League
- All India MajlisTameer-e-Millat
- Jamaat-e-Islami Hind
- Markazi Jamiat Ahl-e-Hadees Hind
- Markazi Jamiatul Ulama-e-Hind
- All India Jamiatul Quresh
- All India Momin Conference
- All India Muslim OBC Organisation
- Movement for Empowerment of Muslim Indians
- All India Shia Conference
- South Asian Minorities Lawyers Association
- Students Islamic Organisation
- UP Rabita Committee
Social service and reform
All India Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat has criticised All India Muslim Personal Law Board for not mentioning the methods of talaq practiced by the Ahle Hadees and Jafri (Shia) sects, who form two major subsets within Muslim community, in its affidavit submitted to five bench committee of Supreme court of India, formed to here the Triple Talaq issue.
Mushawarat President Navaid Haimid wrote an open letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi bringing his attention to the development in the country in the backdrop of cow slaughter ban and the fear created by various organized groups including RSS.
AIMMM also welcome Government's recommendations for Muslims' education in India and was optimistic about it.
- "Will revival of a faded Muslim outfit provide panacea to the community? - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat | The only confederation of Indian Muslim Institutions". mushawarat.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "A Short History of Mushawarat". www.milligazette.com. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- "ALL INDIA MUSLIM MAJLIS-E-MUSHAWARAT". www.mushawarat.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- TwoCircles.net. "As Mushawarat celebrated 'golden jubilee' concerns over riots, exclusion remain | TwoCircles.net". twocircles.net. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Muslim Majlis-e-Mushawarat | Constitution". mushawarat.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Muslim law board hiding talaq facts, says umbrella outfit of 14 bodies - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- TwoCircles.net. "Navaid Hamid writes to Modi to bring his attention to violent incidents happening in the country | TwoCircles.net". twocircles.net. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Govt welcomes new recommendations for Muslims' education. But will it implement?". Retrieved 2017-08-03.