All Our Yesterdays (book)
First edition cover
|Author||Harry Warner, Jr.|
|Genre||Science fiction fandom, history|
|Publisher||Advent (first edition), NESFA Press (second edition)|
|Media type||paperback, hardcover|
|Pages||370 (second edition)|
|ISBN||1-886778-13-2 (second edition)|
|Preceded by||Up to Now by Jack Speer, 1939|
|Followed by||A Wealth of Fable by Harry Warner, Jr., 1976|
It was originally published by Advent in 1969; the members of the World Science Fiction Society voted its author the Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer that year. NESFA Press produced a new edition (ISBN 1-886778-13-2) with additional photographs, in 2004, after Warner's death.
Warner also wrote a related series of historical columns called "All Our Yesterdays." He later published a sequel, A Wealth of Fable, covering the 1950s, originally produced in a three-volume mimeographed edition, the first volume issued in 1976, and later expanded into hardcover form (ISBN 0-9633099-0-0) by SCIFI Press in 1992.
Algis Budrys praised Warner's work as "that calm, reasoned, and, I suppose, sometimes slightly prejudiced 'fan history' that the microcosm needs as a counterweight" to Sam Moskowitz's earlier The Immortal Storm.
Science fiction fan and author Mike Resnick called the book "a fabulous, informal history, covering all the high points, reporting on (for example) the initial meeting after the war between DAW (Wollheim) and SaM (the man who barred him from the first Worldcon), filled with well over 100 photos, even indexed. It's a true treasure of fannish history and anecdotes."
- ISBN for first edition does not exist.
- Platou, Arnold S. (March 31, 2003). "Harry Warner's parallel universe". The Herald-Mail. Retrieved March 1, 2009.
- Today such a book might be nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Related Book, but that category was not created until 1999.
- Resnick, Mike (February 2008). "The Literature of Fandom". Jim Baen's Universe, 11 Vol 2 Num 5. Archived from the original on April 30, 2009. Retrieved March 1, 2009.
- "Galaxy Bookshelf", Galaxy Science Fiction, September 1969, pp.91-94
- Publisher's information on All Our Yesterdays
- All Our Yesterdays columns
- Publisher's information on A Wealth of Fable
|This article about a science fiction book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|