All Out of Love
|"All Out of Love"|
|Single by Air Supply|
|from the album Lost in Love|
|B-side||"Old Habits Die Hard"|
|Released||February 7, 1980|
|Length||4:04 (album version)|
3:53 (single version)
|Songwriter(s)||Clive Davis, Graham Russell|
|Air Supply singles chronology|
"All Out of Love" is a song by British/Australian soft rock duo Air Supply, released as a single in 1980 from their fifth studio album Lost in Love. The song was written by Graham Russell and Clive Davis. The song's lyrics describe the emotional state of a man desperately trying to win back the love of his life after the couple's separation caused by a wrong done by the man against the woman he's in love with. In the United States, it reached number two on the Hot 100 (blocked from the top spot by both "Upside Down" by Diana Ross and "Another One Bites the Dust" by Queen) and number 5 on the Adult Contemporary chart. In the UK, the song reached number 11 and is their only top 40 hit in that country. It placed 92nd in VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Love Songs" in 2003.
The chorus was originally "I'm all out of love, I want to arrest you". However, Clive Davis thought that Americans would not understand what that meant so he suggested "I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you". This is why he has a songwriting credit.
The song is known for vocalist Russell Hitchcock holding the final note for 16.2 seconds. This was the longest-held note for a male pop singer until 1983, when Sheriff lead vocalist Freddy Curci held the final note of "When I'm with You" for 19.4 seconds.
- Russell Hitchcock - second lead vocals
- Graham Russell - first lead vocals and backing vocals, guitar
- Air Supply, Robie Porter, and Frank Esler-Smith - arrangement
Air Supply version:
- "All Out of Love" – 4.01
- "Here I Am" – 3.48
- "Every Woman in the World" – 3.32
Charts and certifications
Andru Donalds version
|"All Out of Love"|
|Single by Andru Donalds|
|from the album Snowin' Under My Skin|
|Released||April 11, 1999|
|Songwriter(s)||Clive Davis, Graham Russell|
|Andru Donalds singles chronology|
In 1999, Andru Donalds recorded a cover version of the song that was successful in German-speaking Europe, peaking at number three in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland. It is from the album Snowin' Under My Skin, and also appears on the compilation album Chart Hits 6 - 1999.
The music video is set in a desert. In the first half of the song, Donalds sings the song blindfolded to deserters also blindfolded. In between, shades are also displayed and a bowl is filled with water. From the second half, he sings without a blindfold and draws the attention of a resident to the end.
- "All Out of Love" (radio edit) - 4:00
- "All Out of Love" (Dance Radio Mix) - 3:59
- "All Out of Love" (Slow Ambient Mix) - 4:18
- "All Out of Love" (Ambient Club Mix) - 6:23
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||25,000*|
* Sales figures based on certification alone.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- In 1981, Hong Kong singer Alan Tam covered the song in Cantonese on his album 忘不了你 (Never Forget You) under the title 小 风波 ("Small Storm").
- In 1997, Irish boy band OTT recorded the song which peaked at No. 11 on the UK chart, the same peak position as the original.
- In 2003, R&B group Jagged Edge recorded their version of the song.
- In 2003, Irish singer Johnny Logan recorded a cover of the song for his album, We All Need Love.
- In 2006, Westlife recorded and performed the song on The X Factor as a duet with Delta Goodrem on that group's album, The Love Album. It charted without being properly released as a single, peaking at No. 31 on the Swedish singles chart in 2007.
- In 2007, actor John Barrowman recorded the song on his album, Another Side.
- Also in 2007, Cliff Richard covered the song on his album Love... The Album.
- "Regina Belle, Air Supply coming for jazz". The Jamaica Observer. January 12, 2011. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016.
- Hal Leonard Corp (2003). VH1 Selections from 100 Greatest Love Songs. Milwaukee, WI: Hal Leonard. ISBN 0-634-05654-9.
- "Graham Russell of Air Supply : Songwriter Interviews". www.songfacts.com. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- "Clarifying the Rock Era Record for Longest-Held Note for a Hit Song". Inside the Rock Era. Blogspot. 25 March 2016. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – All Out of Love". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Air Supply – All Out Of Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – Air Supply – All Out Of Love". Top 40 Singles.
- South Africa Charts
- "Air Supply: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Air Supply Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Air Supply Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Forum – ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts – Top 100 End of Year AMR Charts – 1980s". Australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-09-28. Retrieved 2016-12-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "British single certifications – Air Supply – All Out of Love". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 23 August 2019. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type All Out of Love in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Air Supply – All Out of Love". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 23 August 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- Music video in Youtube.com
- "Austriancharts.at – Andru Donalds – All Out of Love" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "Eurochart Hot 100 Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. Vol. 16 no. 26. 26 June 1999. p. 8. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Andru Donalds – All Out of Love" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "Swisscharts.com – Andru Donalds – All Out of Love". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "Jahreshitparade Singles 1999". austriancharts.at (in German). Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "Year in Focus – Eurochart Hot 100 Singles 1999" (PDF). Music & Media. Vol. 17 no. 1. 1 January 2000. p. 11. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "Top 100 Single–Jahrescharts 1999" (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "Schweizer Jahreshitparade 1999". hitparade.ch (in German). Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "Austrian single certifications – Andru Donalds – All Out of Love" (in German). IFPI Austria. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Andru Donalds; 'All Out of You')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "小風波 歌詞 譚詠麟". Mojim. Retrieved August 22, 2020.
- Swedish Charts Retrieved July 18, 2007.