All Saints' Church, Freshwater
|All Saints' Church, Freshwater|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Parish||Freshwater, Isle of Wight|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Mark Whatson|
The church is medieval. is one of the oldest churches on the Isle of Wight, and was listed in the Domesday survey of 1086. Mark Whatson is the pastor of All Saints, which is an Anglican church in the Anglican Diocese of Portsmouth. A primary school associated with the church is nearby.
There is a marble memorial commemorating Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson in All Saints Church. His wife Emily Tennyson, Baroness Tennyson, son Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson and other family members are buried in the church cemetery. The church is also the site of a memorial to Tennyson's son, Lionel Tennyson, who died of malaria in 1886. Inside the Church there are memorial plaques to members of the Crozier Family who resided nearby. Lady Mary Martin is also remembered on a plaque, her maiden name being Crozier. Admiral Crozier is buried near to Lord Tennyson in a large Table Tomb. The lychgate was built compete with roof in memory of The Crozier Family.
The church is in a united parish with St. Agnes' Church, Freshwater.
The organ was built in 1905 by Henry Speechley and Sons.
A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.
- The Buildings of England, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. Nikolaus Pevsner
- Freshwater Church and Causeway, Steve Shafleet, Isle of Wight Historic Postcards website, March 23, 2007
- Freshwater, All Saints, Steve Noyes, Welcome to Steve Noyes' web page: Here you will find a load of my bellringing programs, compositions and so on.
- All Saints, Freshwater, ©1998-2008 UK Church Directory Ltd
- All Saints, Freshwater, photoset on Flickr, 30 Sep 2007.
- Church of England, Freshwater, All Saints and St Agnes, Official Isle of Wight website
- All Saints Church of England Primary School, Hampshire official website
-  CWGC Cemetery report, details from casualty record.
-  CWGC Casualty Record, The Hon Harold C. Tennyson.
Media related to All Saints' church, Freshwater, Isle of Wight at Wikimedia Commons