All Saints (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Steve Gomer|
|Written by||Steve Armour|
|Cinematography||Eduardo Enrique Mayen|
|Edited by||Richard Halsey|
|Box office||$5.9 million|
All Saints is a 2017 American Christian drama film directed by Steve Gomer and written by Steve Armour. The film stars John Corbett, Cara Buono, Myles Moore, Nelson Lee, Barry Corbin, David Keith, Angela Fox, Chonda Pierce and Gregory Alan Williams, and follows a small-town Tennessee preacher who attempts to save his struggling church. It was released on August 25, 2017, by Affirm Films and Provident Films.
Based on a true story, a salesman-turned-pastor Michael Spurlock of a tiny Episcopal (Anglican) church in Smyrna, Tennessee is ordered to shut it down. He attempts to save the church, as well as a group of refugees from Karen State, Myanmar in Southeast Asia.
- John Corbett as Michael Spurlock, a salesman-turned-pastor
- Cara Buono as Aimee Spurlock, Michael's wife
- Myles Moore as Atticus Spurlock, Michael and Aimee's son
- Nelson Lee as Ye Win
- Barry Corbin as Forrest
- David Keith as Boyd
- Angela Fox as Mary-O
- Chonda Pierce as Ruth
- Gregory Alan Williams as Bishop Thompson
In North America, All Saints was released on August 25, 2017, alongside Birth of the Dragon and Leap!, and was projected to gross around $3–4 million from 846 theaters in its opening weekend. It made $150,000 on its first day and $1.6 million over the weekend, finishing 15th at the box office. The film's low opening was attributed to Hurricane Harvey hitting Texas and surrounding areas–typically faith-based regions–causing theaters to close, as well the boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor on the Saturday. The combined weekend box office was the lowest-grossing since September 2001.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 94% based on 16 reviews, with an average rating of 7.2/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 63 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale, while PostTrak reported filmgoers gave it an 85% overall positive score.
Frank Scheck of The Hollywood Reporter gave the film a positive review, writing: "By avoiding excessive proselytizing and instead simply and effectively relating its moving tale, All Saints proves stirring in a way many of its cinematic brethren do not."
- "'All Saints:' Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. August 25, 2017. Retrieved August 25, 2017.
- "All Saints (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- "AFFIRM Films And Provident Films Announces Production For "ALL SAINTS"". Cision: PR Newswire. September 21, 2016. Retrieved August 25, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 23, 2017). "Mayweather-McGregor PPV Fight Could Punch Up $700M Worldwide, Making Domestic Box Office Meaningless". Deadline Hollywood.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 28, 2017). "The Hitman's Bodyguard' Tries To Deflect Hurricane Harvey & Mayweather-McGregor". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 28, 2017.
- "All Saints (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "All Saints reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved September 2, 2017.