All Summer Long (Kid Rock song)
|"All Summer Long"|
|Single by Kid Rock|
|from the album Rock n Roll Jesus|
|Released||April 5, 2008|
|Format||CD, digital download|
|Label||Atlantic, Top Dog|
|Producer(s)||Kid Rock with Mike E. Clark|
|Kid Rock singles chronology|
"All Summer Long" is a song by American recording artist Kid Rock. It was released in 2008 as the third single from his seventh studio album Rock n Roll Jesus. The song samples two hit songs of the 1970s, Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama", while the intro sounds similar to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit". The idea for the mashup was suggested by Mike E. Clark.
The song was a number-one hit in eight countries across Europe, Australia, and the United Kingdom. It even crossed over to southern rock radio, giving Kid Rock his first top-ten country hit. The song was the official theme song to WWE's pay-per view event, Backlash 2008. The song was also the theme song to the 2009 World Cup. It was featured in the video game Power Gig: Rise of the SixString. He performed the song at the 2009 Grammy Awards and at Wrestlemania 25, both in medleys. He also promoted the song in Europe performing on Top of the Pops and the World Music Awards. The song led to the TV special VH-1 Storytellers in November 2009.
Eight people are credited for writing All Summer Long: the songwriters of Werewolves of London (Leroy Marinell, Waddy Wachtel and Warren Zevon), the songwriters of Sweet Home Alabama (Ed King, Gary Rossington and Ronnie Van Zant) as well as Matthew Shafer (Uncle Kracker) and Robert Ritchie (Kid Rock).
- All Summer Long
- Son of Detroit (live)
- Bawitdaba (live)
The music video for the song was shot in Nashville, Tennessee and features Kid Rock driving a Grand Craft Grand Sport boat out on the Old Hickory Lake, while two teenagers are shown enacting the song's lyrics, taking place in the implied year of 1989 as mentioned in the first verse. Kid Rock is also shown partying with girls or women on a different boat, and singing the song on a platform on the lake during night time. The platform, float & lights are a homage to the "Playboy girls" scene in the film Apocalypse Now. As the video ends, the small boat Kid Rock is driving can be seen with the word "cowboy" on the back.
|United States||April 5, 2008|
|United Kingdom||July 28, 2008|
"All Summer Long" is Kid Rock's fourth song to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, and overall his biggest hit of his career. It reached number 23 on the Hot 100, based solely on airplay, since Kid Rock had not made his catalog available for legal digital download at the time (therefore, the song received no assistance from digital sales). It peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart, making it his highest peaking single on this chart. It is his third top 40 hit on the Hot 100. The song has become Kid Rock's second pop crossover hit (after "Picture"), reaching the top ten on Mainstream Top 40 radio. "All Summer Long" has also reached the top ten on Billboard's Adult Top 40.
It marks Kid Rock's third entry on the American Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, after "Picture" and "Single Father", both in 2003, reaching number four, his first top 20 and top 10 on that chart. It was a moderate hit on U.S. rock, peaking at number 17 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and number 38 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart. The song has sold 943,000 copies in the US as of April 2016.
The song is Kid Rock's first international hit as well. In the United Kingdom, the song knocked off Dizzee Rascal's "Dance wiv Me" from the top of the UK Singles Chart and was replaced at the summit by Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl". In the rest of Europe, the song was available as a physical and digital release and it has also topped the charts in Ireland, Austria, Germany, and Switzerland. It has reached the top five in Norway, Sweden, Turkey, and Poland. In Australia, the song is his first top ten and number one single.
Charts and certifications
Hit Masters version
|"All Summer Long"|
|Single by Hit Masters|
|Released||August 12, 2008|
A recording of the song was released digitally by Hit Masters, a karaoke company whose version was made available in the iTunes Store in North America. Due to Kid Rock's decision to withhold his music from the iTunes market, sales from the karaoke version eventually caused it to overtake Kid Rock's original on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States peaking at number 19. This version also peaked at number 28 on the Canadian Hot 100 due to digital downloads. As Rock's version remained in the top 30 based on radio airplay alone, Hit Masters jumped into the top 20 due to its sales strength. However, the radio success of "All Summer Long" propelled Rock N Roll Jesus back up to number two on the Billboard 200, nearly a year after its release.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||28|
|US Billboard Hot 100||19|
The Rock Heroes version
|"All Summer Long"|
|Single by The Rock Heroes|
|from the album A Salute to Kid Rock|
Another recording of the song by karaoke band The Rock Heroes was released on iTunes for digital downloads in North America in September 2008. In the U.S. it debuted at number 38 on the Billboard Hot 100 and then rose to number 29 the next week, and also in Canada it debuted at number 16 on the Canadian Hot 100 due to digital downloads.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||16|
|US Billboard Hot 100||29|
- List of number-one singles in Australia in 2008
- List of number-one hits of 2008 (Austria)
- List of European number-one hits of 2008
- List of number-one hits of 2008 (Germany)
- List of number-one singles of 2008 (Ireland)
- List of number-one hits of 2008 (Switzerland)
- List of number-one singles from the 2000s (UK)
- List of UK Rock Chart number-one singles of 2008
- Graham, Adam (2008-07-17). "Hot Rock: Album, talent put genre mixer into spotlight". The Detroit News. Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- "Billboard.com". Billboard. Archived from the original on September 5, 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- A Grand heritage
- Bjorke, Matt (April 20, 2016). "Top 30 Digital Singles Report: April 20, 2016". Roughstock.
- "Australian-charts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Kid Rock – All Summer Long" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Kid Rock – All Summer Long" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Kid Rock – All Summer Long" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Canadian Hot 100 2008-08-09". Canadian Hot 100. Archived from the original on 10 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200835 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Tracklisten.
- "Lescharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Musicline.de – Kid Rock Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Kid Rock – All Summer Long worldwide track positions and trajectories". acharts.us. Archived from the original on 29 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- "Media Forest: Airplay chart". mako.com/mediaforest.biz.
- "Italiancharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Kid Rock" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". VG-lista.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200835 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Kid Rock Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Kid Rock Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Kid Rock Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Kid Rock Chart History (Alternative Songs)". Billboard.
- "Kid Rock Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Kid Rock Chart History (Mainstream Rock)". Billboard.
- "Kid Rock Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Top 100 Single-Jahrescharts 2008" (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- "End of Year Singles Chart Top 100 - 2008". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Archived from the original on January 6, 2009. Retrieved December 13, 2008.
- "Éves összesített listák – MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- "2009 Year End Swiss Singles Chart". Swiss Music Charts. 2009. Archived from the original on October 2, 2011. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Die ultimative Chart Show | Hits des neuen Jahrtausends | Download". RTL.de. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2008 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
- "Austrian single certifications – Kid Rock – All Summer Long (Single)" (in German). IFPI Austria. Retrieved October 13, 2015. Enter Kid Rock in the field Interpret. Enter All Summer Long (Single) in the field Titel. Select single in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Danish single certifications – Kid Rock – All Sumer Long" (in Danish). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry Denmark. Archived from the original on October 13, 2015. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Kid Rock; 'All Summer Long')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Kid Rock – All Sumer Long". Recorded Music NZ. Archived from the original on October 13, 2015. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
- "Swedish single certifications – Kid Rock – All Sumer Long" (in Swedish). Swedish Recording Industry Association. Archived from the original on October 13, 2015. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
- "British single certifications – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved October 13, 2017. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Enter All Summer Long in the search field and then press Enter.
- Copsey, Rob (21 June 2017). "Huge selling 'summer' songs on the Official Chart". Official Charts Company. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "American single certifications – Kid Rock – All Summer Long". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved October 13, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Waddell, Ray (2008-08-29). "Kid Rock Living Large Without iTunes". Billboard magazine. Archived from the original on 30 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-29.
- Cohen, Jonathan (2008-08-28). "T.I. Sets New Record With Hot 100 No. 1 Jump". Billboard magazine. Archived from the original on 28 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-28.
- Chart Beat Chat, Billboard magazine
- Caulfield, Keith (2008-08-27). "Bonus Jonas! A Second Week At No. 1 For The Brothers". Billboard magazine. Archived from the original on 14 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-27.
- "iTunes – Music – A Salute to Kid Rock by The Rock Heroes". Itunes.apple.com. 2008-08-01. Archived from the original on 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2012-01-04.