All the Fine Young Cannibals
|All the Fine Young Cannibals|
|Directed by||Michael Anderson|
|Written by||Robert Thom|
|Based on||novel The Bixby Girls by Rosamond Marshall|
|Produced by||Pandro S. Berman|
|Cinematography||William H. Daniels|
|Edited by||John McSweeney, Jr.|
|Music by||Jeff Alexander|
|Distributed by||Loew's Inc.|
|September 15, 1960|
All the Fine Young Cannibals is a 1960 American film directed by Michael Anderson, based on the novel by Rosamond Marshall, starring Robert Wagner, Natalie Wood, Susan Kohner, George Hamilton and Pearl Bailey. Hamilton said that the film "combined Southern Gothic with a biopic of jazzman Chet Baker."
Two young people in love, musician Chad Bixby and Sarah "Salome" Davis, are forced apart despite Salome's pregnancy and marry others, but are then brought together again by chance. A downtrodden blues singer mothers Bixby while guiding his career.
- Robert Wagner as Chad Bixby
- Natalie Wood as Sarah "Salome" Davis
- Susan Kohner as Catherine McDowall
- George Hamilton as Tony McDowall
- Pearl Bailey as Ruby
- Jack Mullaney as Putney Tinker
- Onslow Stevens as Joshua Davis
- Anne Seymour as Mrs. Bixby
- Virginia Gregg as Ada Davis
- Mabel Albertson as Mrs. McDowall
- Louise Beavers as Rose
All the Fine Young Cannibals was the first film that Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood made together. George Hamilton says that director Vincente Minnelli shot some scenes when Michael Anderson was unavailable, including an ending for the film that was not used.
According to MGM records, the film earned $950,000 in the U.S. and Canada, and $860,000 elsewhere, resulting in a loss of $1,108,000.
- All the Fine Young Cannibals at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- "All the Fine Young Cannibals". The New York Times.
- George Hamilton & William Stadiem, Don't Mind If I Do, Simon & Schuster 2008 p 139
- Hopper, Hedda (Jan 24, 1960). "Smooth Sailing for the Wagners: Sure Sign of Success in Hollywood: Bob and Nat Are Buying Fifth Boat". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. f22.
- Interview with George Hamilton accessed 23 December 2014
- Ruhlmann, William. "Chet Baker Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 13 January 2022.
- Jessica Berens (April 1986). "Fine Young Cannibals – They're England's latest sultans of soul. Soon they'll be bringing it on home to America, where at least a band can get a decent meal". Spin Magazine. p. 73. Retrieved 11 September 2010.