All the Fun of the Fair
|All the Fun of the Fair|
|Basis||David Essex jukebox musical|
|Productions||UK Tour: 2008
All the Fun of the Fair is a jukebox musical with a book by Jon Conway, based on the songs of David Essex. The title of the musical is taken from David Essex's 1975 album All the Fun of the Fair. The plot is fictional, not autobiographical. Its initial (provincial) run in the UK took it to Cardiff, Nottingham, Wimbledon, Milton Keynes, Plymouth, Norwich, Belfast, Birmingham, Hull, Sunderland, Southampton, Liverpool, High Wycombe, Swansea, Northampton, Llandudno and Bristol.
The show transferred to the Garrick Theatre in the West End in April 2010 for a limited season which concluded in September 2010. It toured again in late 2011.
The show follows Levi Lee, a recently widowed father with a rebellious teenage son. There is a gypsy future teller who is in love with Levi, and tells him there is danger and mysticism in his future. Dodgems and motorbikes, crafty cons and candy floss, fairground horses and fights, as well as unrequited love, romance and rock and roll bring out the carnival atmosphere in this world of fairground life.
- A Winter's Tale - Rosa
- All the Fun of the Fair - Levi and Company
- He Noticed Me - Alice and Mary
- Here We Are All Together - Company
- Hold Me Close - Jack and Company
- Pretty Thing - Jack and Alice
- Rock On - Levi and Harvey
- Me And My Girl (Nightclubbing) - Jack, Jonny and Company
- Street Fight - Harvey and Druid
- Gonna Make You a Star - Company
- Father And Son - Levi and Jack
- You're In My Heart - Levi, Rosa, Jack, Alice and Mary
- Lamplight - Jack
- Stay Young And Free - Harvey and Alice
- She's Leaving - Jonny, Levi, Harvey and Company
- If I Could - Jack and Alice
- Dangerous - Levi, Mary and Company
- Silver Dream Machine - Jack, Jonny and Levi
- It's Gonna Be Alright - Levi
- Here We Are All Together (Reprise) - Levi and Company
2011 National tour
The show is directed by Nikolai Foster, set and costumes by Ian Westbrook, lighting by Ben Cracknell, sound by Steve Jonas, musical staging/assistant director Drew McOnie, musical arranger/studio production Ian Wherry, musical supervisor Olly Ashmore, and magical creative consultants The Twins. The cast consisted of David Essex (Levi), Louise English (Rosa), David Burrows (Harvey), Rob Compton (Jack), Tim Newman (Jonny), Susan Hallam Wright (Mary), Tanya Robb (Alice), Barry Bloxham (Druid), Susan Hall (Sally), James Hill (Spiv), Gareth Leighton (Chris), Louise Lenihan (Rita), Luke Baker (Chris), and Edie Campbell (Laura).