Allah Thérèse at journées des NTIC in 2009
|Died||19 January 2020|
|Origin||Toumodi, Ivory Coast|
Thérèse Allah, better known as Allah Thérèse (died January 19, 2020), was a traditional singer from the village of Gbofia in the sub-prefecture of Toumodi (central Ivory Coast). A pioneer of traditional Ivorian music, Allah Thérèse was made a Knight of the Ivorian Order of Merit in 2014. She was known for her signature hairstyle, "Akôrou Koffié" (meaning "the wife of the spider" in Baoule). In her native language of Baoule, Allah translated to iroko.
She formed a musical duet with her husband, the accordionist N'Goran-la-loi until the latter's death on 20 May 2018.
Career and early recognition
Allah Thérèse performed with N’Goran from 1956, and the duo enjoyed significant popularity in the 1960s and ‘70s. As of 2005, the duo had 6 produced six albums together. Their seventh and final album was released on May 21, 2018, the day after N’Goran’s death. The album is titled "Bé gnanssou moayé", which translates to “I had grace” in Baoulé.
Legacy and retirement
In 2014, she was made a Knight of the Ivorian Order of Merit, a distinction which came with a monthly pension and a second house in her home village of Gbofia, in the sub-prefecture of Toumodi. Allah Thérèse reflected on her career in a 2018 interview, stating that she was satisfied with her life's work and her commitment to upholding tradition through music. She explained her absence from the stage in later years, stating that she was no longer up to the rigors of live performance. In the same interview Allah Thérèse commented that her commitment to music was her legacy, although she lamented the fact that she had no children. “I made the commitment to sing to immortalize my life. I feel happy when my fans call me mom. In my family, we are three girls who have not had children." 
Allah Thérèse stated her intention to retire after her husband died of natural causes on May 20, 2018. She stated that "I can not go on anymore, we make a team, we make a pair, without him I can not continue to play”.
- "La chanteuse traditionnelle Allah Thérèse honorée par l'Etat ivoirien". abidjan.net. April 23, 2014. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Allah Thérèse (artiste des années 60 et 70) :"J'aurais voulu avoir des enfants"". July 23, 2015. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- "Le manager d'Allah Thérèse raconte les circonstances de la mort de N'Goran La Loi". linfodrome. May 21, 2018. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Après le décès de N'goran la Loi, Allah Thérèse effondrée : "Je ne peux plus continuer sans lui"". abidjan.net. May 27, 2018. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- KOACI. "Côte d'Ivoire: Allah Thérèse décède dans sa 70eme année à Djekanou". KOACI (in French). Retrieved January 21, 2020.