Hoover was born in London on July 17, 1907. His elder brother was Herbert Charles Hoover (1903–1969). He graduated from Palo Alto High School, Stanford University, and Harvard Business School. He was married to Margaret Coberly Hoover with two sons, Andrew and Allan Jr., and a daughter, Lou Henry. His grand-daughter (via Andrew) is Margaret Hoover.
For years he served in foundations and institutions, honoring the Hoover family, such as 50-year leadership of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. Moreover, he bought his father's birthplace in West Branch, Iowa for $4,500 and turned it into the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum. He also served his interests worldwide in mining, agriculture, and financing.
- Hart, Craig (2004). A genealogy of the wives of the American presidents and their first two generations of descent. North Carolina, Jefferson: McFarland & Co., Inc., p. 129
- "Heart Attack Fatal in New York apartment after concert". The Milwaukee Sentinel. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. January 8, 1944. Front page.
- "Allan Hoover; President's Son Was Rancher, Financier". Los Angeles Times. November 8, 1993.
- "Allan Hoover Is Dead; President's Son Was 86". The New York Times. November 9, 1993.
- Hoover Genealogy at National Park Service