Allan M. Ramsay
|Born||1953 (age 63–64)|
|Thesis||Understanding English descriptions of programs (1980)|
Ramsay's undergradate degree was in Logic and Mathematics from the University of Sussex. After completing a Master of Science degree in Logic from the University of London, he returned to Sussex to complete a PhD in Artificial Intelligence. Prior to working at UMIST and the University of Manchester, he was Professor of Artificial Intelligence at University College Dublin.
Ramsay's research focuses on Natural language processing, including morphology and syntax. He has published papers on the analysis of free word order languages, particularly morphology of the Arabic language, which poses a number of specific problems. Some of this research has been funded by the EPSRC.
- Al-Abbas, Maytham (2013). Textual entailment for modern standard Arabic (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Vhora, Mohammed Sohel (2012). Computational support for learners of Arabic (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Vora, Mohammed Sohel (2012). Detecting lexical ambiguity using syntactic co-occurrence information (PhD thesis). University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- Sabtan, Yasser Muhammad Naguib (2011). Lexical Selection for Machine Translation (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Kuo, Chen Li (2008). Interpreting intonation in English-Chinese spoken language translation (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Sorathiya, Anilkumar (2008). An Approach to finding anchor points for multiple sequence alignment (PhD thesis). University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- Lusardi, Carlo (2007). Use of NLP techniques in CALL for the diagnosis of specific errors made by learners of French (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Hargreaves, Katherine (2006). Computational implementation of Somali morphosyntax (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Idris, Wafa (2006). Toward the simulation of multi-limbed robots (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Ahmed, Hanady Mansour (2005). Natural language processing engine for modern standard Arabic text-to-speech (PhD thesis). University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- Law, Ting Kwok (2005). Investigation into statistical approaches for the resolution of ambiguities in English (PhD thesis). University of Manchester. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- Kerins, John (2003). Modelling temporal discourses: towards the integration of semantic modelling techniques into computer assisted language learning software (PhD thesis). UMIST. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- Mirzaeian, Vahid R (2003). Computational content-based support for Persian learners of English (PhD thesis). UMIST. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- Field, Debora (2003). A single action: an infinity of effects: an investigation into reasoning-centred planning for the purposes of planning dialogue without speech acts (PhD thesis). UMIST. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- Hamel, Marie-Josee (2003). Re-using natural language processing tools in computer assisted language learning: the experience of Safran (PhD thesis). UMIST.
- Areta, Andromachie (2002). Robust parsing of English spoken language (PhD thesis). UMIST.
- Schulze, Matthias (2001). Textana: grammar and grammar checking in parser-based CALL (PhD thesis). UMIST.
- Reyero-Sans, Irina (1998). The semantics of locative expressions in English and Spanish: a formal and computational approach (PhD thesis). UMIST. Archived from the original on 2012-12-23.
- Gaizauskas, Robert (1992). Deriving answers to logical queries by answer composition: a new approach to deductive question answering (PhD thesis). University of Sussex.
- Kelly, John J. (1990). Artificial intelligence: A critical study (PhD thesis). University College Dubin.
- Thornton, Christopher James (1988). Concept learning as data compression. (PhD thesis). University of Sussex.
- "Prof Allan Ramsay (BSc, MSc, PhD), research profile - personal details (The University of Manchester)". Retrieved 2012-06-10.
- Allan M. Ramsay's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- "Sarcasm, Deception, and Stating the Obvious: Planning Dialogue without Speech Acts". Artificial Intelligence Review. 22 (2): 149. 2004. doi:10.1023/B:AIRE.0000045504.76256.0d.
- Alabbas, M.; Ramsay, A. (2011). "Evaluation of dependency parsers for long Arabic sentences". 2011 International Conference on Semantic Technology and Information Retrieval. p. 243. ISBN 978-1-61284-354-4. doi:10.1109/STAIR.2011.5995796.
- Ramsay, A.; Mansour, H. (2008). "Towards including prosody in a text-to-speech system for modern standard Arabic". Computer Speech & Language. 22: 84. doi:10.1016/j.csl.2007.06.004.
- Ramsay, A. (1987). "What we say and what we mean". Artificial Intelligence Review. 1 (3): 139. doi:10.1007/BF00142289.
- Allan Ramsay at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Allan M. Ramsay author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Ramsay, A. (1991). "Generating relevant models". Journal of Automated Reasoning. 7 (3): 359–368. doi:10.1007/BF00249019.
- Ramsay, A. (1988). "Appelt, D.E.Planning English Sentences". Cognitive Science. 12 (3): 467–477. doi:10.1207/s15516709cog1203_5.
- Sloman, Aaron; Barrett, Rosalind; Ramsay, Allan (1985). POP-11: a practical language for artificial intelligence. Chichester: E. Horwood. ISBN 0-470-20237-8.
- Ramsay, Allan (1988). Formal methods in artificial intelligence. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-42421-6.
- Ramsay, A.; Mansour, H. (2006). "Local Constraints on Arabic Word Order". Advances in Natural Language Processing. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 4139. p. 447. ISBN 978-3-540-37334-6. doi:10.1007/11816508_45.
- http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewPerson.aspx?PersonId=47856 Grants awarded to Allan Ramsay by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council