After a curacy in Swinton he was Chaplain at Malvern College and then Vicar of St Ambrose, Pendleton, Greater Manchester He was Domestic Chaplain to the Bishop of Birmingham and Succentor of Birmingham Cathedral from 1962 to 1967 when he became Dean of Bulawayo; and from 1969 its Archdeacon. Additionally Vicar general of Matabeleland from 1972, he returned to England three years later to become Precentor of Hereford Cathedral (one of its Residentiary Canons). He was Dean of Ely for a brief period (1982–1984), but had to stand down after what a Daily Telegraph obituary referred to as "the personal problems that might arise if loneliness and frustration were combined." He was then appointed Rector of Alcester by the Marquess of Hertford until his death on 16 July 1989.
He never married.
- “Who was Who”1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1975-76 London: Oxford University Press, 1976 ISBN 0-19-200008-X
- Church web site
- Beeson, Trevor (2002). [Priests and Prelates: The Daily Telegraph Clerical Obituaries Priests and Prelates: The Daily Telegraph Clerical Obituaries] Check
|url=value (help). Continuum. p. 48. ISBN 0826481000. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "Priests and prelates : the Daily Telegraph clerical obituaries" Beeson, T.R: London Continuum, 2002 ISBN 0-8264-6337-1
- Beeson, Trevor. Priests and Prelates: The Daily Telegraph Clerical Obituaries- The Very Reverennd Allan Shaw. Google Books
|Church of England titles|
Michael Sausmarez Carey
|Dean of Ely
1982 – 1984
William James Patterson