The Town Hall and School
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Cédric Paté|
|8.71 km2 (3.36 sq mi)|
|• Density||29/km2 (74/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||77–121 m (253–397 ft) |
(avg. 100 m or 330 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Alland'Huy-et-Sausseuil is located some 10 km east of Rethel and 35 km south-west of Charleville-Mézières. The D30 road from Amagne to Écordal passes through the northern part of the commune. The village can be accessed off the D30 via the D14 which passes through the village then continues east to Charbogne. There is also the D43 road from just south of Écordal which passes south through the commune to Saulces-Champenoises. A branch railway line passes through the commune from Lucquy station in the west to the station just south of the village and the line continues south-east to Attigny station. Apart from the village the commune consists entirely of farmland.
La Foivre stream flows south through the eastern part of the commune and continues to join the Aisne south of the commune. There are several other small streams in the east of the commune and the Ruisseau de Saulces in the west.
This commune was occupied by the Germans during the First World War and again during the Second. The village was partially destroyed.
Party per fesse, in chief argent saltire of gules charged with a lion of Or, in base azure a crescent of Or between two jugs argent handled and spouts facing.
List of Successive Mayors
|1864||1886||Jean Auguste Pierlot|
|1889||1892||Michel Alphonse Coche|
|1902||1907||Jean Louis Cyrille Edmond Thille|
|1913||?||Jean Baptiste Elie GÉNIN|
|1931||?||Raoul Etienne Coche|
(Not all data is known)
Sites and Monuments
- The Church of Saint Catherine (12th century) is a Romanesque church located in the heart of the village. The building was listed as a historical monument in 1986.
- Some beautiful fortified farms, mostly made of brick.
- A Chateau in the hamlet of Sausseuil.
- Charles Batteux (1713-1780) was a clergyman, Translator, Latin scholar, author of scholastic books. Professor of rhetoric. Held a Chair of Greek and Latin philosophy. Member of the Academy of Sciences in 1754.
- The French Resistance fighters arrested by the Gestapo at the Chesnois farm in 1944: the Fromentin family (Georges, Georgette, Jean, Lucienne), Paul Sagnet, Blanche Deloche-Sagnet, Charles Lambert, Robert Couvin.
- Communes of the Ardennes department
- Cantons of the Ardennes department
- Arrondissements of the Ardennes department
- Alland'Huy-et-Sausseuil on the old National Geographic Institute website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Alland'Huy-et-Sausseuil on Lion1906
- Alland'Huy-et-Sausseuil on Google Maps
- Alland'Huy-et-Sausseuil on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- Allandhuy and Sausscuille on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Alland'Huy-et-Sausseuil on the INSEE website ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- INSEE ‹See Tfd›(in French)
Notes and references
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Google Maps
- Alland'huy-et-Sausseuil: commemoration of the martyrs of March-April 1944, L'Union, 19 April 2011 ‹See Tfd›(in French)
- List of Mayors of France
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00078329 Church of Saint Catherine ‹See Tfd›(in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alland'Huy-et-Sausseuil.|