Allegations of misappropriations related to the Iraq War
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Iraq War misappropriation refers to allegations that billions of dollars of US government funds, originally meant for reconstruction and rebuilding programs, were misappropriated during the Iraq War.
In July 2008, the United States Department of Justice investigated around 900 cases of alleged fraud committed by contractors. Similarly, the Defense Contract Audit Agency uncovered $10 billion in questionable Iraq contracts, and a US audit found that the occupation authority had lost track of reconstruction funds totalling nearly $9 billion.
Henry Waxman, then Chairman of the United States House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, said, "The money that's gone into waste, fraud and abuse under these contracts is just so outrageous, it's egregious. It may well turn out to be the largest war profiteering in history."
$12 billion in U.S. currency was transported from the Federal Reserve to Baghdad in April 2003 and June 2004, where it was dispensed by the Coalition Provisional Authority. A Vanity Fair magazine report concluded that of this sum, "at least $9 billion has gone missing".
A blog on Huffington Post alleged that there "immunized foreign contractors" were involved. US courts issued gag orders that prevent the prosecution or defense from discussing the allegations. The orders apply to 70 court cases against some top US contractors.
Missing UN funds
- Barbara Ferguson: "Private contractors steal billions from Uncle Sam". ArabNews, 30 July 2008
- "Audit reveals abuse of $9bn works funds".
- "BBC uncovers lost Iraq billions", Jane Corbin, BBC News, 10 June 2008
- Donald L. Barlett and James B. Steel: Billions over Baghdad. Vanity Fair, October 2007
- "'Iraq was awash in cash. We played football with bricks of $100 bills'", Callum Macrae and Ali Fadhil, The Guardian, 20 March 2006
- User Submitted (6 August 2008). "Bush Reveals True Reason for War in Push for Iraqi Agreement". RINF Alternative News & Alternative Media - Breaking News Real Independent.
- Corbin, Jane (June 10, 2008). "BBC uncovers lost Iraq billions". BBC.
- Use of Iraq Contractors Costs Billions, Report Says
- Iraq a bottomless cash pit
- Contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Former U.S. official admits to kickbacks in Iraq
- Parsons, Military Wasted Millions in Iraq, Inspector Bowen Says
- CNN.com - Audit: U.S. lost track of $9 billion in Iraq funds
- So, Mr Bremer, where did all the money go?
- The case of the Missing $21 Billion
- Roy H. Park School of Communications - Selection of Links and Resources on Media Coverage of the War in Iraq